WTB Used Refractometer

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
I do believe it's time I graduate to something better than a hydrometer. Preferably used to save me some cash. Would like to also buy from someone that will be at the swap.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont know if this is an option but they are pretty cheap on ebay.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what i hear thats what half the people on here use and they haven't had issues. Anybody tell me if im wrong.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
thats what I bought. it was off ebay for 25$ shipped, from one of the best rated sellers. just make sure that it's in the correct range. cheers

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will have some home made calibration fluid at the april meeting if you want to double check it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why does everybody think these are so cool? Rangerbobb had some major salinity issues due to one of these, and a hydrometer is what he used to CORRECT the issue.
Hydrometers do not need calibration, are cheap, and are usually very close.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
they are cool if calibrated using a known source ...conductivity meters are even coolerest
but if i was going to rely on a hydrometer i would get a glass floaty one

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use both...but only use my hydrometer like once a month to check my refractometer. Its nice being able to keep the salinity more stable using them. Hydrometers can have a 2-3 ppm swing depending on how well you maintain them. I always rinse mine out so the salt doesnt build up on it. But I have had some that were just as bad a refractometer in the past...being way off. But unlike a refractometer you cant correct the problem. Guess QC isnt a big deal to some manufacters.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
well to be honest i have 2 conductivity meters, 3 hydrometers, and one refractometer and still am not sure exactly what my salinity is ....i know its somewhere between 1.024 - 1.026 ....need to recalibrate again today ...lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Like everything in our hobby, some people have good luck with certain tools and others no luck at all. When I first started I went through three hydrometers, as they where off by a ton and one didn't even work at all. So I found a super cheap refractometer on ebay and it has been dead on for two years now, every so often I grab some RO water to recalibrate it and sometimes it needs to be adjusted, but it takes like 5 seconds. The refractometer that I use looks just like the expensive ones, just minus a cool sticker.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I worked at AI, so they let me go through the shelf till I found one I liked, and I still have it.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the digital refract by Hanna and it is spot on accurate. I check it against 35ppt solution and calibrate it with 0 tds RO/DI water.

Sent from my Droid Incredible.

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
spstimie;85544 said:
I will have some home made calibration fluid at the april meeting if you want to double check it.
That would be awesome. Appreciate the offer.

wicked demon;85552 said:
Why does everybody think these are so cool? Rangerbobb had some major salinity issues due to one of these, and a hydrometer is what he used to CORRECT the issue.
Hydrometers do not need calibration, are cheap, and are usually very close.
I don't want one for the cool factor. I usually can't afford most cool things in this hobby. I was under the impression they are a must have in marine keeping.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
sugaree;85585 said:
That would be awesome. Appreciate the offer.

I don't want one for the cool factor. I usually can't afford most cool things in this hobby. I was under the impression they are a must have in marine keeping.
i think the majority of people feel that way but its still not fool proof and you can't rely on that alone

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
Right now all I have is a swing arm. I had a floater but I broke it and just never replaced. Makes sense though to measure with more than one instrument.