WTF happened??

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
So the other night my buddy called me up to help him frag some pom pom and some gold xenia, I've done this in my tank and his many times now ( he has a forest of the stuff ).

So I break out the rubble rock's, mesh netting and rubber bands as usual and we get going. A few hours later we have all the frags he wants and he gives me half for myself for the help.

He calls me 2 days later, the frags disintegrated..
Today all of mine did the same..

WTF happened?? This was healthy xenia...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
nothing you say tells me what could have happened ...the only thing i get from your post that could have happened is that it took a few hours could it been out the water for too long?

need more info

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's odd, I've helped other members save their xenia that has been fragged and kept on a baggie overnight, water was beige. Doing some w/c helped the baggie full of xenia.

Did your params change? I'd love to take a tour of your tank when I make it down there again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
Ok, more details, the large mother colonies were put in the same container we always use with tank water from his system. Fragging was done in the water then quickly wrapped and tagged. and placed back in the water.
The reason it took so long was we were watching the game at the same time lol. FYI I also fragged 2 different types of leather that night and the frags from them are doing just fine, as well as the single mushroom he let me frag. It was just the Xenia, each frag was only out of the water a mear minute maybe 90 secs.. At most..

As for more colorful corals, I would LOVE some.. We are hoping to get the the dec 10th frag swap, and hope that some local dealers ( in colorado here ) will have some nice sales and ship cheap in state..

LOL I'll trade about 40 P4 Dell PC's for some nice corals if anyone wants them lol.. Otherwise I gota save some pennies..

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally, unlike the haters in here, I think pom pom's are a cool addition to have in a tank, even with other more "colorful" corals. I have almost ALWAYS had trouble transporting them right after fragging for some reason, don't know why, just one of those things.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just guessing, but Xenia slimes up really bad during and after fragging. If you don't have enough water flow on them right after fragging, the slime may
have a bad affect on them?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup Im a pro...

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I let pom pom grow on to new rocks. I've had the same when I cut and try to make a frag. They're really finicky.