WTF just happened?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm catching up on the last of my homework and all of a sudden the MH lights go out, there was a loud click. I try and switch the lights on again on the RA wifi and nothing. I turn on the moonlights and there's my Bangaii, just floating around in the current. WTF? He's trying to make it, but looks like he got stunned. Sump time for him? What made the noise? Did the MH shock the system? All the corals look peeved, all other fish seem fine.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If it helps or makes you feel any better, my MH will never fire just after they have shut down. Usually have to wait for 5 mins or so before they will restart.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice to know about the delay, 1 problem solved. Nothing else shut off.
What made the MH turn off in the first place? How did that affect the fish? He was doing fine right before the lights went out.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dont know, did you have a power surge or a blip?
no clue how it would affect the fish other than one second the lights are on, the next they are off

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could be possible that is what happened, if you have the portal setup you can see the relay activity, but if it was only for a second its doubtful that it would have caught it. If you are running the android app you can check the MH delay with that in the memory setting, can also do it in the RA client on the memory tab. Did you notice if anything else went out at the same time? Return pump, skimmer, power heads?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When you upload to the controller it does cycle some of the ports, it does it on mine as well.
What is your temp? did the red light come on on the controller?
Give me a yell tomorrow night if it does it again and we can run through your INO again and see what all is setup

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tie a rope to your self have your gf hold on to it and stick your hand in the water if you star gurling tell her to pull you off lol. I had a heater go bad one and put 120v into my tank similar results

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the MH on a gfci? If so and that didnt trip its very doubtful you had a short that went through the tank. Does not mean something in the
Light itself didnt short.

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
The delay in re-starting all HID lights is to protect the bulb. It's just the way they work. You have to wait until the bulb cools off before re-starting. Most newer electronic ballasts block re-start until the bulb cools. Old magnetic ballasts would just keep re-firing at the bulb, causing the bulb to die early.

I'd say it sounds controller related, but a short isn't out of the question. Good luck!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stuck the multimeter in the tank, no stray voltage. The bulb makes a strange noise when turning on now. As far as GFCI, I'm kinda relying on the fuse to protect the tank.

Fish died. The other bangaii is searching for his buddy. When I get another one, will they get along?

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I alway had my MH on a battery back up surge protector. If the don't have the correct power it will trip the GFCI and the battery back up would start beeping and the light would still be on. Then you could shut them down correctly. Is water getting to the power supply or bulbs sockets. I had splash back once that hit the light socket and the same thing happend, Click and nothing!

Good luck!

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm probably playing with fire but I have never QT a fish and I've probably lost maybe 2 fish I just keep reading about how many fish are lost during QT I say drop 'em in a get a cleaner wrasse.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sure all the fish know what a cleaner is right away it's pretty cool!