WTH - Heater Troubles

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I don't know what the hell is going on, but Im hoping someone can enlighten me.

Ive got a 150w Hydor heater in my 29 bio cube. It stays on all the time, but never keeps the tank warm. When the lights are on I maintain a suitable temp of 79. When the lights go off im swinging about 2 - 3 degrees lower, not good for my SPS.

I figured the heater was not big enough, so I bumped up to a 200w Hydor heater.

This thing over heats the damn tank and doesn't shut off at the specified temperature on the thermostat. It basically stays on until I unplug or flick it, then itll go off, but wont come back on, I must repeat this process.

As of now Im basically stuck constantly monitoring the temp, Im getting ready to head to Orlando in a couple weeks for 5 days and this needs to get sorted. Any ideas? Am I experiencing total heater failure? Should I look to another brand? Do I have the heater in the wrong location (ive tried moving to different sides and corners of the tank with no luck)

I do not use a controller of any type.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My suggestion is get away from hydor heaters. I personally have had nothing but bad luck every time I have gotten one. I have had great success with Eheim Jager heaters though. I have one you can use if you feel like driving to FOCO. But most of the fish stores arround would sell a 150w for the $30 ballpark

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
The only reason I use the hydor ones is because they seem to fit better with the lip around the edge of the biocube. Ill go snag up a jager and see if it works better for me.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Balz3352;308918 said:
I have no clue what your problem is but I've had excellent luck with eheim heaters.. I have mine in the third chamber of my 29 biocube
The third chamber? Meaning the return pump? How high do you keep your water level back there? I tried putting the heater there and half of it was out of the water.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;308923 said:
The third chamber? Meaning the return pump? How high do you keep your water level back there? I tried putting the heater there and half of it was out of the water.
+1 that would be problematic. I would think the first chamber would be best.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
sethsolomon;308924 said:
+1 that would be problematic. I would think the first chamber would be best.

Occupied by the skimmer, and I have the upgraded custom acrylic filter / fuge boxes back there, so not a lot of room back there.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Rock is very stable and no touching any of the sides or back of the tank, putting a heater behind the stack wouldn't be an issue. I actually have that exact heater, you think 100w would be enough? The 150w couldn't keep the tank warm enough.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2x Ehmin Jager 50w should fit in the space under the skimmer.

measure to be sure they are 9.56 inches long.

I had a 150w heater heating my 60g cube. 100w should be fine with a good heater.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
My water level is not kept high enough to put a heater on that side, I keep mine about half way up on that chamber, just enough to cover the cheato in the middle chamber

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Chamber 1 is full of skimmer. I found a fully controllable fully submersible 50w heater I may throw in the first chamber, and then a 100w Ehiem behind the stack