How should I organize my sump?

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
First tank, just getting started. I bought a semi complete system off CL, part of which is a sump for a 25 gallon display. The sump is about 10 gallons. I bought a block of marine pure, and I have a couple filter sock holders to add, a skimmer, and a return pump. I also bought a light for chaeto. The block takes up a lot of space, so I'm wondering how to "organize" my sump.

Parameters:
1. The flow is left to right when looking at the pictures.
2. I have some glass and could add more baffles if necessary.

Thoughts so far:
1. Filter socks on far right, chaeto and marine pure in the first section, skimmer and return pump in the last section.
2. Alternately, I could swap the skimmer to near the filter socks and put the marine pure in the return section.
3. If I orient the marine pure vertically, it will take up a lot less space. If I do that, the water level will have to be higher to cover the block.

Questions:
1. Does it matter if the MP block is vertical?
2. Does it matter if the water level is higher than the lower baffle? i.e., will the bubble trap still work, or does the water have to *just* flow over that baffle? (I know I have to have sufficient space for backflow when pumps are off).
3. Should I put something in the baffle to prevent chaeto from getting into the return section? If so, what?
4. Does it matter if the filter socks are in the same section as the chaeto?
5. Does it matter if the MP is in the same section as the chaeto?
6. What else am I not thinking of?

Thanks!

View attachment 10943 View attachment 10944 View attachment 10943 View attachment 10944

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I would have the water enter your sump through the filter socks, then the first chamber has skimmer, then over the baffle, the return pump chaeto and MP block in the final chamber. If you think you could keep the cheato from getting sucked into the skimmer then maybe I'd put it in that first section. Or maybe add some of your glass to create a divider to keep your skimmer and chaeto separate, I've used egg crate for this and it works fine....just check it every once in a while. The marine pure block can be cut into smaller pieces which may help your situation. My thought is that you are adding that for biological filtration and a place to house all that beneficial bacteria. That's why I don't think it matters if it is in that final chamber before the return pump.

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would have the water enter your sump through the filter socks, then the first chamber has skimmer, then over the baffle, the return pump chaeto and MP block in the final chamber. If you think you could keep the cheato from getting sucked into the skimmer then maybe I'd put it in that first section. Or maybe add some of your glass to create a divider to keep your skimmer and chaeto separate, I've used egg crate for this and it works fine....just check it every once in a while. The marine pure block can be cut into smaller pieces which may help your situation. My thought is that you are adding that for biological filtration and a place to house all that beneficial bacteria. That's why I don't think it matters if it is in that final chamber before the return pump.
Thanks, I think I might use some egg crate to separate skimmer and chaeto.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks, I think I might use some egg crate to separate skimmer and chaeto.
I'd try really hard to get the skimmer in the first chamber so any bubbles it creates can dissipate before reaching your return pump and end up in the display. Also if you think about the surface area of the MP block, having it vertical would allow more of it to be in contact with the water, rather than an entire 8x8 side being against the glass bottom of your sump. If you have left over egg crate and the space you can make a little stand for the MP to elevate it off the glass on all sides...

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does MP block crumble when cut or does it cleave?
I have two pairs of baffles in my sump. I put media or bioballs between the glass baffles of a pair. I figure, that's where all the water is going through so it makes sense to get the most contact. If MP block cleaves you can use a table saw to slice portions to fit between your glass baffles.