Reeflo Barracuda repair/restore

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awhile back I acquired these 3 reeflo pumps, 2x barracudas, and a hammerhead, from some guy on craigslist for super cheap. One was brand new, one was the pump that was running on the tank prior to breakdown, and the third was a ?
Needless to say the 3rd one had seized the seal had bonded to the shaft of the pump.
Took awhile to get it off and clean up the shaft enough to see most of it. Anyway this is what I am left with. I tested the pump and the motor runs, shaft spins, just fine. The new seal fit easily over it now too, where they wouldnt before, but the shaft isnt smooth now. Pretty pot marked, but nothing protruding
Question is, can I use this pump in this state, or does that shaft need to be smooth? Thoughts to restore/repair it? Is it worth it for me to replace the seal and continue with the restore?

View attachment 12061 View attachment 12062

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Shaft doesn't need to be smooth, shaft and seal don't have a whole lot to do with one another actually.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Shaft doesn't need to be smooth, shaft and seal don't have a whole lot to do with one another actually.
Thats kind of what I thought. Figured if they clear each other I would be good, but didnt want to waste all the time restoring it if it was going to cause issues.
Thanks for the confirm