WW's sutpid awesome 60G nem cube

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I thought it was about time to start the build thread on my new anemone tank. My plan for this is very simple just a boat load of Colorado Sunbursts with 1 possibly 2 pair of fancy clowns. At this time I'm not sure if I'm going to put anything else in it. Anyone have have any suggestions for fish or anything else that might play well?

Here's the setup:

Marineland 2'x2'x2' 60g reef ready cube
Bubble King 160 skimmer (this thing is awesome!)
2 MP10s with foam covers or a Tunze nano wave box. (haven't decided yet)
20 gal DIY glass sump with single baffle.
Eheim in sump return
Reef Keeper Elite controller with all the goodies
Elos Osmocontroller ATO
Spectrapure Dual Media reactor
And the best part of all, the sickest stand and hood I could get. Custom made by Ryan (Pidge)

The tank
The base shown here got scrapped its not the base that will be used.

Skimmer, sump and return

New Radion Pro

I went to Boulder to see the progress on the stand and canopy today and pick out the stain color. It should be done in a couple weeks or so. Just needs some sanding and finish. Ryan used some killer hinges and touch latches on this thing so every door and seem have sleek perfect lines. I am so thrilled with the work he has done so far I cant wait for it to be finished. So far Ryan has exceeded every expectation I could have had.

This spot between the sofa and chair where the painting currently is will be this tanks new home. Hopefully Ill have some more updates in a week or two.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow wow wow Chris that's a sweet awesome build man!!! Can't wait to see it stalked full of sunbursts!!!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks cool. With that stand will it be easy to maintenance?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wave box don't work very well on narrow tanks - 36" is iffy and 48" is more like it. Give it a shot, if you have one, but don't sweat it if you cannot get too nice of a good wave. You can probably get a "surge" out of it, like other pumps, but it's won't likely be like a true "wave." If it does work, BTAs look awesome swaying in some Tunze waves.

You can probably skip the skimmer. The 'nems might like slightly elevated N and P levels at the

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
fishguy69;276209 said:
Looks cool. With that stand will it be easy to maintenance?
It should be juts as easy an any other tank with with a full hood. The base of the stand opens up with touch latches on all three sides and the top front of the hood hinges back to expose a pretty large opening, definitely large enough to get my whole arm in there and then some. not to mention the whole top can lift off if I need it to.

If this was a larger tank then I might need more access on the top but its not a large tank.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;276214 said:
Wave box don't work very well on narrow tanks - 36" is iffy and 48" is more like it. Give it a shot, if you have one, but don't sweat it if you cannot get too nice of a good wave. You can probably get a "surge" out of it, like other pumps, but it's won't likely be like a true "wave." If it does work, BTAs look awesome swaying in some Tunze waves.

You can probably skip the skimmer. The 'nems might like slightly elevated N and P levels at the

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;276224 said:
I would personally do an algae scrubber over a skimmer for a nem tank.
Naw Ive built and used a few algae scrubbers now for nano sized tanks and used one for about 18 months on my last tank. I personally don't want to do it again. I think they are a great alternative if you don't have or cant use a skimmer but that's about it.

pidge

Angel Fish
Looks awesome Kris! I can't wait to see this sucker set up. That 1/4 sawn white oak is some really nice stuff. It's gonna be a really sleek and badass tank. I'm so jealous!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
pidge;276250 said:
Looks awesome Kris! I can't wait to see this sucker set up. That 1/4 sawn white oak is some really nice stuff. It's gonna be a really sleek and badass tank. I'm so jealous!
Well I think its gong to be your woodworking skills that are going to really put this one over the top. Thanks so much for building it for me!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Khalis and I made a trip down to AA today. I picked up 50 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of sand.
I used the sump for my unfinished 200 build to cycle the rock in until I get the 60 setup and ready to be aquascaped.
I went a little overboard for the live rock as I even equipped the sump with an ato. lol I figured why not?

Cris has been cycling the live rock for two months already so I should have a very quick very small cycle if I get one at all. The rock had no smell at all and some pieces were already very corraline encrusted.

so far it sounds like I'm on schedule to get the stand and canopy sometime next week. If so I took a 4 day weekend next week to set everything up.

Tagging along. Can't wait to see the setup in place

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
OMG OMG OMG!!! THERE'S ACTUALLY WATER AND ROCK IN THE SUMP????
That stand is off the hook, man! Can't wait to see water and actual live critters in the cube. I'm so excited!!