Xbox One or PS4?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So now that Xbox One and PS4 have been announced, which will you buy?

After hearing that Xbox requires online connectivity and reporting once a day, Ive decided to lean towards PS4. However, all I see for game releases are violent games which I would rather my child not play. Even the Kingdom Hearts series is a little too violent for her to play. Pretty much leaves racing games only. Im sure more "kid friendly" games will be released in the future, but at this point, I dont see any.

What are your thoughts?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Xbox One or PS4?

I always used to be an Xbox guy but sure do love my ps3. It seems more geared for families where the Xbox calls to hard core gamers.

One other thing is that xbox only got partial license from blu-ray so that xbox can play games that are blu-ray (which they will need to be because of off the data contained on the disc) but you will not be able to watch blu-ray movies on an xbox.... I have owned both a PS3 and a 360 and I liked them both

I dont like that you need to get "checked' every day on the xbox one plus its not going to be backwards compatible, I'm not sure if the PS4 is going to be either.... But if I had to choose one, which I probably wont anyway it would be the PS4

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PS4.

Besides the fact that I enjoy the PS3 exclusive titles more, and got the "red ring of death" when I attempted to make the switch from Sony to Xbox360...the digital rights management Microsoft went with on their new console is REDONKULOUS.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
MS can take their DRM and shove it. I'll wait for the hands on reviews of the PS4 and then only if it is backwards compatible with the ps3 games I have.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had an xbox live account for many years now. From when I played to now primarily my daughter's do.
Now a days it seems I'm paying up the butt for an expansion pack every other month or so. I do not like that you will not be able to
trade or buy used games without paying MS again. Not to mention the whole Kinect eyeball piercing into your home everyday to check in.
maybe I don't now much about it, but it looks like I most likely will not be renewing my yearly account.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Xbox One or PS4?

kmellon;251671 said:
MS can take their DRM and shove it. I'll wait for the hands on reviews of the PS4 and then only if it is backwards compatible with the ps3 games I have.
Agree completely about MS.

PS3 games will be accessible via a streaming cloud service. Details are scarce...but there's a possibility that loading the ps3 game into the new system will grant you access to the streaming version....pretty sure they're still working on the details. Hopefully they don't make you repurchase games you own...that'd be a huge downside.

Creepy article on the kinect: http://www.gameskinny.com/6akyl/the-alarming-nature-of-the-xbox-ones-kinect-requirement-and-usage

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thats what i was reading. i have a ps3 that is backwards compatible and that was the only reason i bought one. if i have to rebuy a game, sony can take the ps4 and shove it as well.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Xbox One or PS4?

I hear you there...I had a backwards compatible ps3 and had to sell it a while back. I was bummed when I went to buy a new one and lost that capability. I still have a PS2 for all of my old games...but if I have to purchase games on the cloud a 2nd time around...it ain't happening.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to see that all the E3 hype isn't really propagating beyond E3.

With the whole DRM stuff the official word is that this is something that's forward looking and more in-line with what other successful companies are doing in the phone business (you know who I'm referring to so I won't mention names).

I personally think there's a good chance that the price of games will drop significantly as a result and we'll move to more of a pay more to get more out of the game in less time model, but that's purely speculation on my part.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure DRM is in line with what successful companies are doing...it increases profits at the expense of consumers.

It's worked for PC gaming via the Steam network...and MS is trying to introduce it to the console market with their new platform. Sony decided against it...and hopefully that little push back is enough to keep things from permanently going that way in the future. As a kid...one of the bonuses of owning a console was swapping games with friends since a 10 year old didn't have a job for a $20 new release. Considering the cost of games today...it baffles me that MS is doing even more to make gaming less accessible to consumers.

Hopefully you're right about decreasing costs...we'll have to wait and see. I'm doubtful though...as games get more in depth, developing costs are only rising.