Xenia under grow light?

Has anyone used a grow light like this one for pulsing Xenia? : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBCG8X0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 40 gallon sump, and have one area sectioned off as a fuge with macro algae already. I have a second, larger chamber that I would like to use to grow Xenia for nutrient export. I definitely don't want these guys in my display tank since they tend to grow like weeds, but my research shows that they one of the best options for heavy metal and nutrient export.

Ther above bulb is already growing my macro algae great, so i'm mainly wondering if the spectrum will be ok for Xenia as well.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It should do quite well under 5500 daylight. Just use a CFL in a clip light and take the worry and wonder out of it.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was able to grow Anthelia and GSP under a basic grow light for a few months while I saved up for a new light. I would imagine the Xenia would grow fine too.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was able to grow blue/green sympodium under a similar light and it did well.

FWIW, the macros in my fuge did much better under an LED very similar to the one you listed in comparison to the CFL bulb I've been using for the past several months. If you do go with one of those LEDs I strongly recommend a splash guard of some sort be used with it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;340309 said:
If you do go with one of those LEDs I strongly recommend a splash guard of some sort be used with it.
Or get an outdoor bulb. The floodlight LED bulbs they sell at home depot work wonders and dont need a splash guard.

Thanks guys, i'm using the grow bulb I posted for my macro in my fuge, and the growth has been great. I think I will go grab a couple 5500K CFL's for the Xenia portion and see how they do. My goal here is to stay skimmerless on my 180, and still keep SPS, so I need as much nutrient export as I can get. The more I research, the more I feel that skimmers take out too many beneficial bacteria, and food sources that would otherwise help keep things balanced. I guess time will tell, right? lol

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could always run a algae scrubber. That will pull a TON of nitrates and phosphates out without removing any beneficial bacteria or food sources

zombie;340377 said:
You could always run a algae scrubber. That will pull a TON of nitrates and phosphates out without removing any beneficial bacteria or food sources
Thanks, I have looked into that a little, but may have to do some more research.