Yashi Gobies

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I have a pair of Yashi's that were pretty small when I got them, maybe 4 or 5 months ago, always very shy. They are in a 14 gallon with 2 Ocellarus clowns.
They almost always hide in the rocks together until about a week ago when my daughter noticed that they were out playing. Now tonight, one Yashi is out on top of the rock that they live in and acting very aggressively with the clowns! Do we think that love is in the air? Maybe some spawning? Let me know what you think.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you may be right....the other yasha should be in their cave taking care of the eggs........damn, I need to try spawning and raising some of those....they are my favorite goby.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nah...don't take out the clowns.
I don't know how to raise the gobies but you'd have to catch all the larvae on hatch night.
Then figure out what to feed them......might need something smaller than rotifers.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Will the Gobies eat the young? If not, it might be easier to leave them in and move the clowns to another tank. What about that?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everything in the tank will eat the larvae. The Yashas will eat them also. That's one of the
reasons you need to capture the larvae and raise them in a separate small tank. Food concentration
in the water is also a good reason to move the larvae. In order to keep a decent concentration of
food items in the water for your larvae, you would have to add so much food that your tank would foul
and you'd lose everything in it. Look up larval snagger in google to learn how to capture the larvae.