Yellow Tang breeding

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For those of you who haven't seen it: The holy grail of marine fish breeding--the yellow tang--is closer to being captive-bred. They have gotten babies through the difficult prolarvae stage (where they are little more than tubes with fins, lacking functional stomachs and even eyes) and even through the first feeding stage (microalgae and copepod eggs as first feeds). Now they just need to gear up for the long haul: Some estimates place yellow tang larval development at 6 months.

More information here:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...nGvWXbqsMpFiifkVelq3fJw-dG3w==#LETTER.BLOCK18

You can also see more in-depth information in this pdf:

http://www.ctsa.org/upload/publicat..._without_appendix_Final634310530620377199.pdf

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You bet, y'all. I'm down for some, too. I think there will be a lot more tank bred everything coming soon. Food companies finally have enough stock of the "good" copepods that they are starting to market to hobbyists. For example, this one:

http://174.122.148.130/~ndavid/prod/?p=125

Is the same genus (maybe even the same pod) that people have used to raise Centropyge angels. I'm still trying to find room to start trying to culture those little guys. Their size range is freaking perfect. As a size comparison, the nauplii of the pelagic copepod that I have growing are about twice the size of the naups of that one. If the Parvocalanus will eat O. marina then I'm off to the races. I just need to get a store to order some for me. Anyone else need any? If I can guarantee sale of a few bottles then it's easier to talk people into ordering.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on the price Andy.
I'd like to try them. Sounds like they may be able to eat RotiGrow+ instead of the O. marina which
would be perfect for me since my O. marina ebbs and flows depending on my feeding habits. Right now I'm trying to
resurrect them again. Thank God the Apocyclops are tough little bastards hehe.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I wouldn't count on Rotigrow, honestly. Wouldn't hurt to try it, of course. I'm kind of surprised at the price. It seems a little higher than what I heard. Look at that! I followed your link and it says $44 + $7.50 shipping. I'd be willing to split a bottle from MD if you'd like. That would make the price pretty reasonable, but wouldn't be a lot of copes. Well, let me know.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andy, that $7.50 is a special handling charge. shipping will be around another $7.50.
I'll split a bottle with you. When you get it in, can I get another starter for the O. marina? lol

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ah, I get it. Well, fine. Sounds like a plan to me. I'll go see if I can put in an order.

I've been fighting a macroalgae invasion in the O. marina lately myself but I think I just about have it licked (daily screens through 54 microns to get the larger strands before they give off spores, sigh). I also think I have a second flagellate in the cultures now, too. I think I need to let another batch of rots die so I can get a clean starter. :) But, yeah, I can put another bucket of O. marina on so I'll have a big starter for you.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay, the order is in. It sounds like it takes several days for Algagen to actually fulfill the orders. I'll let you know when I see it.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gale: Crazy enough, but it showed up today with no warning at all. I think if I refrigerate your half then it should make it until we can meet up. What do you think?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you should use both halves to create two cultures. At least they'll have a chance to reproduce until I can get some lol.
Are you planning on going to the swap on Saturday? If not, we can meet up next week sometime.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im guessing Iso is going to be your best phyto to feed. I am starting to culture Nanno and Tetra, if either of you can get your hands on a Iso starter culture lmk. Im interested in trying out Iso to see if it works better then nanno feeding tisbe and roti's.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you should use both halves to create two cultures. At least they'll have a chance to reproduce until I can get some lol.
Are you planning on going to the swap on Saturday? If not, we can meet up next week sometime.
Fair enough. I started a second culture for you. The starter was fairly sparse, but both cultures have live copepods running around. I have each half in about half a gallon of water and will slowly ramp it up. I'm not sure how dense they'll get, but we'll see. I feel horrible about it, but I don't think I'll be able to make it Saturday. Time has just been really tough to come by this year. Especially Saturdays.

Im guessing Iso is going to be your best phyto to feed. I am starting to culture Nanno and Tetra, if either of you can get your hands on a Iso starter culture lmk. Im interested in trying out Iso to see if it works better then nanno feeding tisbe and roti's.
I think you are probably right. Iso isn't my friend, though. I use a dinoflagellate, Oxyrrhis marina, that will eat algae pastes in addition to whatever it gets from light. (I've heard that O. marina is not photosynthetic, but my cultures do poorly if kept in darkness.) My Apocyclops cultures do really well on it and I've heard that others have been successful using it with Acartia tonsa. So I have some hope that it'll work with these as well. I doubt that O. marina would work well with Tisbe because O. marina stays in the water column for the most part.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've tried Iso before....it's too finicky.
We're going to try and feed them some O. marina that is fed RotiGrow+.
This method works great for Apocyclops but we'll see if Parvocalanus will eat them. It's worth a try :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gale, my current O. marina recipe: 1 drop Rotigrow+ & 6 drops NRich PL per gallon, twice per day.

Freakin' Iso. I hate the stuff. I had a buddy sending me liquid starters every month and I still couldn't keep it going, much less trying from the solid starters (much more finicky, not that I could tell).

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmmm, I may need to order some NRich hehe.
I think my O. marina culture is starting to come back. That stuff seems to be pretty tough too......I've brought it back from
what I thought was dead, two or three times now.