M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Amphipod

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow! that was a quick reply!

Looks like a little shrimp or something, but not quite?

I also noticed what looked like a piece of chaeto (my chaeto sheds...if that's normal) that had come loose and was next to the glass and kind of wedged between some rock....basically stuck. it was approx. 1/4 inch long, green like my cheato but had what looked like an umbrella at the end....kind of like the filter feeding crabs. It was just sitting there so I decided to get rid of it and when I touched it, it kinda shrunk up and was more stuck to the glass than I thought. I'm thinking some kind of worm, but I destroyed it trying to get it out so, sorry no pics........any ideas on that one? I searched the web for some kind of pic but came up empty.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;319401 said:
it was approx. 1/4 inch long, green like my cheato but had what looked like an umbrella at the end....kind of like the filter feeding crabs. It was just sitting there so I decided to get rid of it and when I touched it, it kinda shrunk up and was more stuck to the glass than I thought.
Does it look kinda like this. Dont worry about color, just shape.

If so, its a feather duster worm, which is a very beneficial filter feeder.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, kinda like that. I think I saw two of them
I know you said don't worry about color, but the whole thing was green and the feather duster at the top wasn't as fine as those.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
nope the colonial hydroids didn't look like what I saw.

On another note, I am also seeing these little worm like creatures crawling around on stuff. They are small and white. they move kinda slow and they can bend in the middle to turn around. I see them on my glass and in the chaeto....

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;319565 said:
nope the colonial hydroids didn't look like what I saw.
There are many types of colonial hydroids. If it looked like this, then those were definately colonial hydroids and not feather duster worms. Feather duster worms are always red, white, brown or some mixture.

If what you see here looks like them, kill them by any means necessary.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;319566 said:
Check this out. Great for id of stuff you arent sure what it is yet.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/49804-Live-Rock-Critter-ID
So this website says zoas are NOT reef safe and potentially toxic.....interesting.

I think what I am seeing are the isopods, which it also says are potentially harmful and can bite.

I found another one of those filter thingys and will put up a pic when I can get a good one.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoas are reef safe. They put that on there cause they can grow out of control if you dont trim em back from time to time and they contain a toxin that is very poisonous when cut open (similar to riacin).

Isopods depending on body shape can actually be good.

This explains it really well. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchpods.html

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is a feather duster worm. Perfectly safe and very beneficial