Your Suggestions and Recommendations = My Tank Build

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quarantine tank is setup at this point. I still need to purchase a mini-powerhead to create some flow, but I am just wanting to get the cycle started in there. I have a few of the dry live rock pieces in there currently, and I know I will need to purchase some actual live rock to seed the dry live rock in my main tank. Is it a good idea to get the actual live rock in my quarantine for a few weeks so I can try to identify any potential pests etc prior to placing in the display tank?

I've also go the tank moved to the wall where it will be on display in the basement.

Attaching some pictures as well.

[attachment=65626:name]

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scape is 90% done. I only attached the one main piece of tonga rock, and will be thinking of ways to add a few more here or there without it looking too gaudy.

Let me know what you guys think.

LEDS are hung up too as you can see =P

[attachment=65645:name]

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
This weekend was a big weekend for progress.

I have added a 1 1/2'' sandbed and plumbed the tank.

Tank is 1/2 full of water at this point.

[attachment=65658:name]

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is up and running! Added a raw shrimp to start the cycle.

I currently have the LEDS running for 8 hours. I think I may need to supplement some white lights as the LEDS I have are 50/50 Blue White I believe. What recommendations does everyone have?

[attachment=65672:name]

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is probably still too many white LEDs for most coral and you might have to turn them down to 30%, or so, if you start to get into some LPS and SPS. Supplementing with white light of other sorts might be a good idea for human viewing, but most coral gets it's energy below 500nm and does not mind the blue. Also, the tank will not look as blue when you get some stuff growing in there.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great! How are you liking the wp? As far as suggestions, I would move the heater to the main sump. I don't think the refug will handle enough water to keep the temp stable enough.

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
BPreefer;284666 said:
I supplemented with 2 48" t5 with reflectors over this tank with great results.
Brent do you have an example link to site with something similar?

Also, I was thinking about dropping a 2nd heater into the overflow in the case the sump has a shutdown for whatever reason.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Put it in the tank, not the overflow. I have heaters in my tank as well as sumps. The best thing is that you have them on different electrical circuits along with your flow pumps:

Circuit 1: Tank Heater & Flow Pumps
Circuit 2: Return Pump & Sump Goodies

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Question for everyone.

I have my LEDS running from 12PM to 8PM. All other times the light over the refugium is running, so approximately 16 hours. My water level is dropping about 2-3 gallons a day(Full system is about 100 gallons). Is this normal? Should I run the refugium light for shorter periods of time?

I am going out of town for 5 days and I don't know if I can keep my water level high enough during that time to avoid the pump not having enough water to push back up into the tank.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's pretty normal, especially given the low relative humidity we've had lately. I lose 5 gallons every 1.5 days from my 180, and I have the vents around it closed to decrease airflow. Do you have an ato? They really can help with peace of mind when you have to leave your tank for a while.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
kyuubichan218;284869 said:
That's pretty normal, especially given the low relative humidity we've had lately. I lose 5 gallons every 1.5 days from my 180, and I have the vents around it closed to decrease airflow. Do you have an ato? They really can help with peace of mind when you have to leave your tank for a while.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2
Unfortunately, I have just gotten the tank setup and do not have an ATO yet. Would be a nice thing to have, but I don't think I can get one in the time before I take off. Guess I will be teaching a neighbor how to fill the tank :)

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
My Cycle is progressing well so it is time to start thinking about the clean up crew I will be using. Where is the best place to pick the little guys up and which combos do you guys recommend?