Zoa Help

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up some BBEB's from Gonzo's at ReefStock. They were open right away when introduced to the tank and stayed that way for about 3 days. Since then, they have shrunk substantially and are barely opening. I inspected them closely and no signs of pests, no parameter issues, and all other zoa's in the tank are happy, open and growing.

Not sure what I can do, if anything, but looking for some help.

Really bummed since these are my all time favorite zoa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought the same thing but it's near the bottom portion of the tank and gets moderate-ish flow.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some zoas that thrive, and others that just never take hold. My parameters are solid.

I grabbed a single BBEB from Gonzo when we started the grow out, and it's looking great still. Mine is in medium flow.

What kind of lighting program you running? I have really turned my whites down, and running only 65% on the brightness.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use the radiant color program on the Radion at 55% max

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk stays steady at 9dKH. No recent swings at all. I'm really stumped! Again, all other zoa's and SPS are happy as can be

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
They do open slightly but have been decreasing in size substantially

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is what they look like. The light have been on for 3 hours so far today. The leftmost polyp isn't open...

View attachment 18252

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I moved them down to the sand and an area with good flow. We'll see. Still super bummed cause these are my favorite zoa

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If they dont open more down there, maybe try moving them it some partial shaded area for a while and see if they open up a bit. I have some fire and ice zoas that were not opening much under the lights and once I moved them to some partial shade they started opening more. Ive started slowly moving it back out into the light as it starts to do better

Hopefully you get it solved. I know that some corals take longer to get settled in, just make sure there isnt anything in the area that has long sweepers that could be bothering it and to also not stress out the coral by moving it a lot often. Maybe its deciding to morph in your tank to make you money!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wish I could help or new an answer Randall as I have the same issue or similar anyway. My frag started as 2 polyps so its obviously growing, but I rarely rarely see them open. I have seen them open a few times when my lights first come on, but I also dont get to see my corals much when the lights first some on. Anyway here is a few pics of mine in their normal state and then best state. Again they are still growing, so not sure whats up.

I have been keeping them about 6" under water line and about 11" from Leds and T5s

normal state

at their best

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Weird! I was thinking that they will be ok since they are still opening partially. I'm gonna leave them be and see what happens.