Zoa spots?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wasn't sure if this was a pest or what was going on. One of my Zoas has remained closed now for a few days and there are white spots all over the polyp. I dipped everything in coral pro when I got them a few weeks ago and the coral closest to it has also been closed for a day or so but no signs of white spot age yet. Ideas?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;356427 said:
Looks like Zoa Pox, might try a furan-2 treatment?
I'll quarantine the two Zoas tonight and get some furan-2

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
kind of a silly question.. but is it possible that it's just sand sticking to them? I'd take them out and swish them in a small container of tank water to see if it comes off.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;356451 said:
kind of a silly question.. but is it possible that it's just sand sticking to them? I'd take them out and swish them in a small container of tank water to see if it comes off.
Not at all. It had fallen off the frag rack. I did swish it vigorously and some sand came off, then I poked it with tweezers and some more came off but going to be safe than sorry and put it into quarantine. Don't want it infecting everything else as I've spent nearly $900 on corals in the past 2 months and will be getting more this week.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;356468 said:
Not at all. It had fallen off the frag rack. I did swish it vigorously and some sand came off, then I poked it with tweezers and some more came off but going to be safe than sorry and put it into quarantine. Don't want it infecting everything else as I've spent nearly $900 on corals in the past 2 months and will be getting more this week.
It's almost never a bad thing to quarantine, esp with that much in corals! Fingers crossed that this is something easily fixed and un-contagious.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I quarantined the suspect coral. Everything I've been reading points to zoa pox as the culprit. I found a few threads on zoa pox and treating it with tea tree oil. My wife has an essential oils business and we have many many oils that are antibacterial/antiviral/antifingal/etc. and we happen to have tea tree oil - the others I'll be trying are oregano oil and thieves oil. I adjusted the power head in the quarantine tank to agitate the surface and added 7 drops to the tank last night - Coral pro rx is more or less "natural herbal remedies" as well so I figured I'd give it a try while I looked for furan-2. Will be doing a complete water change tonight on the tank and then giving it a day before trying another oil.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;356470 said:
It's almost never a bad thing to quarantine, esp with that much in corals! Fingers crossed that this is something easily fixed and un-contagious.
Already contacted the two peoplethat these corals came from that were suspect and they've had some of their corals also disappear over the last week. Hoping to find a way to stop it before it spreads.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa spots?

Zoa looked much worse this morning so I added thieves oil and oregano oil to the tank. Thieves oil was used by thieves to rob people who had the plague and can be traced as far back as 5th c thieves who used it then robbing leper colonies. Oregano is the strongest anti biotic, viral, fungal, etc, oil known to man.
Fingers crossed. So far no other corals have spots, one has been stressed for a few days and if it doesn't open today it's going in a seperate quarantine tank from the first.
Ordering furan today but won't get here till Friday.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;356495 said:
Zoa looked much worse this morning so I added thieves oil and oregano oil to the tank. Thieves oil was used by thieves to rob people who had the plague and can be traced as far back as 5th c thieves who used it then robbing leper colonies. Oregano is the strongest anti biotic, viral, fungal, etc, oil known to man.
Fingers crossed. So far no other corals have spots, one has been stressed for a few days and if it doesn't open today it's going in a seperate quarantine tank from the first.
Ordering furan today but won't get here till Friday.
Fingers crossed! Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster for you.

(side note: man, I'd love to get my paws on some good essential oils. There are none to be had down here, and I can't even order them online because we don't have a mailing address. So jelly that you have tons of them right there at home.)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;356503 said:
Fingers crossed! Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster for you.

(side note: man, I'd love to get my paws on some good essential oils. There are none to be had down here, and I can't even order them online because we don't have a mailing address. So jelly that you have tons of them right there at home.)
Meh, it's educational at least :) worst pest I've had so far has been flatworms so this will b one for the record books. Still can't figure out where it came from, guy I got them doesn't have them and his Zoas r fine so far. Hoping it's just something from the mountain air and not in his ranks as well.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've never had them but it seemed to run around the club several years ago. Just another reason the hobby is hard and you need a club to help solve the problems that occur.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa spots?

Pic from today:

Have added 14 drops each of tea tree oil, oregano oil, and thieves oil.
Saw a marked difference between this morning and this afternoon.
*for some reason the oils have made a lot of air drops on the side of the tank, that's the little bubbles pictured on the glass

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Narrowed it down to candy apple pinks or armor of Gods, both frags haven't opened for a few days and both were 2p last I checked thought this one appears to have lot one already. Both closed up on the same day to. The one not pictured doesn't appear to have any signs of zoa pox other than being closed up.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moved the second colony over to the quarantine tank as it hasn't opened for 3 days now and this was the trend with the infected zoa. All other Zoas are looking healthy and fine.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Today's pic:

Added more tea tree oil as my wife told me it's the most powerful anti biotic. Oregano is most powerful antivirus and thieves is good all around. Haven't seen any improvement yet but they're both still hanging in there and haven't declined anymore.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa spots?

My wife sells essential oils by young living, I can on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can also find tee tree oils in many places like sprouts, whole foods, Walgreens, etc.