zoa vs paly re: fish predation

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the CHS tank I had collected several small frags of various zoas and palys (I am a moron at telling the diffs), but then got into the fishy elements a bit too much. I acquired a coral beauty and then spent six months planning and prepping, and now keeping (two years strong) a regal angelfish. And almost without notice, most of the what-I-used-to-call-button-polyps have, of course, disappeared. Most. I still have some that I think are called purple deaths, and I think they are palys. And another large patch of common green plays that I wish anything would eat, shred, or otherwise do away with. And bout three orange bam-bams (I am pretty sure those are zoas) down in a crack and out of reach. I have since passed the coral beauty on, but the regal is the prize in the tank and is staying. But I would like to add some more zoa/paly types for filler and color (after I fix a bryopsis issue first).

So . . . do fish eat palys like they do zoas? I am not certain that the regal or the coral beauty ate the zoos--I expect the regal, but who knows. I do not want to waste $$$ on corals to be a nice snack. Is it the play-toxin that may keep them away? Any ideas/experience welcome.

Cheers

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Jason I would think the only way to know for sure is to throw some cheap no name zoas in. I actually have a fist size rock that used to be covered in green bay packers, that now its been taken over by nuclear holocausts. The GB are still there but suffering from the take over. I would be willing to give you the rock so you could test and see if they have a preference. I would think as long as you put the rock in the open sand so the nuclear H can't spread in the event they are not eaten, you will be fine. Lmk if you would like to try it.

Ps. I still have the new powerhead donated by Scott aka Munch too. Maybe light a fire under Jeff's rear :)

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad,
That would be awesome--though I do not know what nuclear holocausts are--I think GB Packers are something that disappeared a while back. It would be worth it. As for Jeff, he's only a freshman, so I cannot fault him. He doesn't drive. If you cannot make it to CHS (understandable) I will try to hook up with you sometime next week. I have another mt. bike race with the team this weekend and things are hectic. Next week is PT conferences too, but I will see what I can do. Thanks for your offer and all the help you've given.

Cheers

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I should note that most of the predation occurred over the summer when the tank was on an auto feeder with pellets an such. And I think it went a few weeks without any food at all when the feeder malfunctioned. The fish fended for themselves pretty well, all things considered, but I think that is when the bulk of it took place. Then it was pick pick pick after that. I never saw who/what did it, but a small rock with 5-10 polyps would be up-ended and on the sandbed after a few days, with half the polys gone. Somebody found a treat.