Zoa vs. Zoo

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've mostly seen Zoanthid abbreviated as "Zoa," but i've also seen a number of people and sites (that I respect) abbreviate this as "Zoo." Anyone know why/where this abbreviation comes from seeing that Zoanthid only has one "o" in it? Are both terms accepted?
Pretty random, but it made me wonder!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive noticed from various zoanthid clubs I follow on Facebook that ones that are foriegn seem to abbreviate with zoo. Im 99% sure its the same thing

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;283463 said:
Ive noticed from various zoanthid clubs I follow on Facebook that ones that are foriegn seem to abbreviate with zoo. Im 99% sure its the same thing
That makes sense. I was looking at the Vivid Aquariums site today and noticed they use "Zoo" throughout the site. They are definitely referring to the same thing - just seems like a strange inconsistency.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my experience allot of people just use the terms interchangeably with no real reasoning behind it but I like Jeremiah's explanation for those that have purpose behind the term used.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think people use ZOO because everyone who likes them and develops an addiction to them belongs in a Zoo :D

But really I think when people use the word Zoos they are just using a slang term for zoanthids and palythoas as Jeremiah and ThunderTwonk suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;283488 said:
I think people use ZOO because everyone who likes them and develops an addiction to them belongs in a Zoo :D

But really I think when people use the word Zoos they are just using a slang term for zoanthids and palythoas as Jeremiah and ThunderTwonk suggested.

Are ya sayin' we belong in a zoo, Chad?? Pshaw!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
People also use Zoa or Zoo to refer to a Paly.... or Paly to refer to a Zoa/Zoo. Just roll with it... they are all colonial anemones in the end.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Heres a question Ive alwas wondered? What exactly makes a zoanthid and palythoa different? Is it the disk size?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, zoa gets auto corrected by iPhones and iPads to read zoos. lol