Zoanthids wont open all the way.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Zoanthids wont open all the way.

Did you look at them funny? :p

My zoas do this on occasion, sometimes it's me working in the tank that causes it...other times it happens "randomly" for no reason that I can see. I'd try blowing them off in case there is an unseen film algae staring to annoy them, but other than that just give them time. I've had colonies barely open for weeks after moving them and they typically adjust. If they don't open at all for a while, I'll move them...otherwise I just wait it out.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
+1 with the above statement. Did you dip them? Could also be a sign of pest. Zoanthids infested with zoa spiders will generally display this trait as well, not fully opening or not opening at all. Easiest way I have found to test this is hold the polyps up to some light and look through the skin, if theres a spider in there you can generally see it, but not always, sometime a microscope is nessacary, magnifying glass can work too. They also like ot hang thier legs out of the zoas mouths on occasion.

Are the melting or swelling at all?

Ok so did a water change and a water test everything looks good parameter wise. So then I did a long bath in coralrx and that's seemed to do the trick everything is looking a lot better today.