Zoas not opening...

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a bunch of zoas and the most expensive ones are not opening all of a sudden, but the common ones are doing as good as ever. I tried a dip, no change. Thoughts or ideas please. Btw water prams are great with no change.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
How long have you had them? If you have had them a long time maybe try a different flow/light location higher or lower (opposite) of what you have them in now. Also if you move em I'd give them time to adjust in the new location to try and open before moving again.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If others are open, and these aren't - best leave them alone. Amonchak is right about the flow and light. If after a few more days they don't open, I'd recommend moving them. My 2cents anyhow.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you moved any rocks or added any to your tank? I was scratching my head just last week when the same thing happened. Turns out moving a rock on the opposite side of the tank by about 2" was enough to alter the flow so that quite a few of my zoa frags were getting hit by direct flow. The rock just happened to "funnel" the flow right over them and ****ed them off.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's funny how some like flow and some don't. I have my MP40 pounding on some and they don't mind a bit but others get even a bit of that and they stay closed. I have moved my new frags to the opposite side of my MP40 to acclimate until they open.