Zoos not opening up

jmhartney

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had a 72 gallon bowfront running for 15 months. Livestock includes, foxface, flame angel, percula clown, two green chromis, red headed solon wrasse, mandarin and a diamond watchman goby. I have an assorted CUC with a cleaner shrimp, serpent starfish, emerald crab, turbo snails and 10 hermit crabs. I have a sump with a refugium which I removed a handful of algae from every week. The original lighting setup in the tanks was 4 x 65 watt pc's with two daylight and 2 actinic. I am in the process of converting to LEDs. Right now I have 2x 65watt(one 10,000K one 420.460nm) PC over the side of the tank with the zoos . The PC bulbs are the original bulbs which are probably close to 2 years old. I recently got my first coral a pair of green zoos. The corals have never opened up as extensively as they were at elite reef when I got them. I only test for nitrates and nitrites and they are both at zero. Would getting a new daylight bulb help them open up more? I am slowly converting to LEDs but it will be a couple of months before the LED side will be as bright as the PC side is right now. Thanks for the input.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Closer to the light like Don says, and those bulbs are old.. Are the 65 watt pc's the 4 pin type? if so, I have a set of bulbs that are a lot newer and I'll just give them to you until you get the LED's (don't want them back either :). Also, your general params should be good (ie Calc 400+, dKH 8+, MAG 1200+)