2017 Coral Extravaganza grow out contests

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
This is to announce the 2017 Winter grow out contests.
Contest notes
1. Entry fee is labeled with each potential contest frag, this covers your cost of the frag, transportation, a donation to MASC and puts $$ in the pool for the winner(s). Winner pot is whatever remains after cost of frag and donation with minimum pool being $30 for some of the higher priced frags this pool will be much higher based on minimum buy ins.
2. Frags will be cut two weeks before contest start and individually numbered. Once numbered, you'll randomly be assigned a number, and pickup your frag. There will be no cherry picking, all luck of the draw.
3. Each contestant must post a photo of their frag within 48hrs of contest start/time, or from when you receive your frag.
4. Each contestant must post a picture each month by the 10th.
5. All frags must remain on original plug until the end of the contest
6. Each contestant must post a final picture to be counted by the deadline of the Saturday before Reefed
7. Scchase is final judge in deciding Head or Baby in pictures if needed of zoas and responsible for any weighing or desrcepencies at Reefed.
8. Grow time will be from the delivery of frags at the 2017 Coral Extravaganza to Reefed.
9. If your frag melts, post up so we know you're out. Maybe the winner will frag you a head
10. If your frag comes off it's plug, you can re-attach, but you must post up additional picture once re-attached within 48 hours.
11. Frags can be moved within your tank at your discretion. Just be prepared to share what worked in the end.
12. Contestants not following the rules may be disqualified. Let's not have to use this!
13. Winner(s) will split pot evenly in the event of a tie that cannot be resolved, currently unknown.
14. Definitions: Baby is considered any closed polyp, or any where you cannot see face and developed skirt in the same photo. Head is considered any polyp where a face and skirt is easily visible.

Available Corals will be:
Zoas
Seductions $40 buy in Prize Pool $10 per buy in
1. Synden
2. Diddle822
3. Jadkins4
4. JuanGutz
5. Legonch
6. neil82
7. Irishman
BBEBs $25 buy in Prize Pool $5 per buy in
1. Diddle822
2. JuanGutz
3. TheRealChrisBrown
4. Goodness
5. Muralreef
6. Mccoc033.
Acros
WWC Yellowtip $35 buy in Prize Pool $10 per buy in
1. Djmm1177
2. Legonch
3. Rigo07
4. MuralReef
5. Jodil
6. BrianH
JF Firecracker $60 buy in Prize Pool $15 per buy in
1. Kayvon
2. Balz3352
3. Jadkins4
4. JuanGutz
5. Legonch
6. TheRealChrisBrown
7. BDK 1786
8. Djmm1177
9. Irishman
10. Rigo07

Any frag group from the above list with a minimum of 6 participants will be cut and the contest will run

All frags must remain on initial frag plug for the duration of the contest. All Zoa frags will start as single polyps which I will cut 2 weeks before the winter event, all Acro frags will be 3/4-1" same cut schedule. Zoa frags will be measured by 1 polyp counts 2 overall colony size 3 tie breaker to be judged on overall coral and aesthetics (hope it doesn't come to this). Acros will be measured on overall growth if a clear winner is not evident then we will go buy weight of frag to be measured at Reefed. Each participant must post monthly photos of their frags with a ruler indicating size to remain eligible for prizes these photos will be due on the 10th of each month and the final photo will be due the week before Reefed. Any potential ties and final judging as needed will be conducted at Reefed and any participant that will need to bring their frag/s to Reefed will be notified in the week prior to the event. Each contest that runs will have a thread created for pictures.

All frags are to be picked up at the December meeting and the deadline for any pickups will be Jan 6th to be considered for the grow out contest, frags not picked up by then can still be received but will not be eligible for the prize pool.

Anyone interested in any of the above grow out competitions please respond to this post with all that you would like to participate in. Available prizes for each running contest will be contingent on number of entries received.

We will be capping the contests at 4 from the list above if more than 4 people wish to compete in 4 of the contests a grand prize will be awarded to the person with the best average of all 4 contests

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'd be down for seductions or BEBBs depending on which one gets enough participants first

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not understanding the last paragraph that talks about a grand prize. How does that work? Thanks for putting together the contest! I'm interested.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I'm not understanding the last paragraph that talks about a grand prize. How does that work? Thanks for putting together the contest! I'm interested.
Grand prize is something new that will only run if at least 4 contests are run by 4 or more different people. If we run 4 different grow out contests and meet that threshold there will be a grand prize picked from among the group that does all the grow out contests. Approx Retail value of that prize will be greater than $120 and will be in addition to any other prizes that might be won from individual contests.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Remember to post which ones you want to enter once a coral hits 6 I will make a separate thread for that coral for photos and the list of entries.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Id be in for firecracker but I can't make it to the extravaganza.

What will we do in this case?
All frags are to be picked up at the December meeting and the deadline for any pickups will be Jan 6th to be considered for the grow out contest, frags not picked up by then can still be received but will not be eligible for the prize pool.

Meeting me somewhere else will also be an option or at my place on appointment.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well let’s have some fun here I’ll do seductions, bbeb, end biohazard, blue stag, wax yellow tip, jf firecracker and the plate.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
  1. And if you need someone for the others for numbers I’ll do those too. Just let me know you signed me up and I’ll bring the cash.

Jadkins4

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd do a seduction and the firecracker. And then probably two more to help fill in where needs be. Great work putting this together.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
  1. And if you need someone for the others for numbers I’ll do those too. Just let me know you signed me up and I’ll bring the cash.
We will probably cap it at 4 contests total just to make it manageable, wanted to have lots of options for people though