2nd Round of Maxspect Gyre XF-150's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wondering if anyone else would like one of these awesome pumps. We will be ordering up to 6 units ($299.99ea + tax), so if you do please PM or call the store to put a deposit on them. Let me know soon.

V

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I like mine a lot. My tank dimensions are 48Lx24Wx30T and I am easily able to remove all other pumps from the display and replace with this one. I have it at 40% forward and 50% reverse, it switches every 5 minutes. When I feed I shut it off for 4 minutes, and when the Gyre turns back on you can watch the food particles gyre around the display. Pretty cool. I have mine mounted horizontally, but it can also be mounted perpendicularly which creates a gyre in the different direction.

I did try to swap out one of the rotors with one of the supplied backup rotors, this can create a different flow pattern. It was confusing and I never got it right so I returned it back to stock. I think if I tired again I could get it figured out.

Lastly, even at 40% the pump is louder than I expected. There is apparently a break in period, but I'm still waiting for that to happen. I wouldn't say it was louder or quieter than the Jeabo WP40 I was running....but the difference in flow between the 2 is night and day. Overall I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
There is always that debate in my head about running something at full power 24 hours a day vs. running something under power 24 hours a day. I suppose it makes sense to me that the life may be extended in doing it this way...but I don't know the truth in that philosophy?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Munch;335052 said:
Given you're running at 40-50%, think the 130 would be a better fit?
I'm doing 40% on mine. I do like the actual size of the 150 because my tank is 30" from front to back. Even though I am not using the full flow it spreads the flow more than a smaller gyre would. The gyre moves water so differently than propeller pumps it's hard to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.