4 bulb T5 aquatic life or two 120watt leds

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Difficult question to answer. Depends what type of coral as well as the quality/spectrum of the LED fixture.

I just switched from led to T5 on my nano. My softies seem happier... but my one sps frag is starting to look bad. I can't comment on growth rates since I ran LED for a year then switched just recently.

General consensus seems to be that T5s are more reliable as far as giving good results. LEDs are highly dependent on the quality of the fixture...most people go with them to either reduce the chore/expense of replacing bulbs, lower electric costs, controllability, color...or any combination of the above.

Nice input guys they are all really nice full spectrum leds but I have t5's and they work good I was just wondering if the led's would supercharge them lol

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha.

If you enjoy the look of LEDs...keep the T5s and add some blue LEDs as an accent light.

I've found some of my frags love the led and really grow great under it like my zoas and some unknown red entrusting sps i have. My rainbow nem, not so much. I tend to move my frags from the 120 with its t5's to my 30 with its Chinese led if they are looking ticked and vice versa. Duncans don't seem to care either way and really tolerate anything. My captain America zoas prefer the t5 for sure and are coloring up again. I don't have a lot of sps so can't comment too much on that. More than a anything i think acclimation is a biggie. My zoas i put all on the sand when i got the led and they were much happier. Now i can pretty much place them anywhere months later. My husband says he prefers the colors and pop of the t5's now that they have more blue+ bulbs in the mix. The only ones i can't seem to find a good place for under either lights are my hammers and frogspawn, but that may be more a flow issue than anything.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
thereefman75;283839 said:
I put the leds on and love the look and the coral perked up a little. I hope it doesn't bleach them out

If they start bleaching, just shorten the time they have exposure to the white channel or if you can dim the lights then dim them.