Advanced Dip for Reef Pests

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a good little read for people curious about pest control for their tanks. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880&highlight=bayer+advanced

I have used this product for a couple years with great results but have experienced a few different problems with my experiments. First of all, anytime you use this product, do it in a well ventilated area. This product is very poisonous and should be kept away from children and pets. I have used this product with a ratio of 5ml to 4 cups of tank water successfully on just about every pest in the aquatic hobby. I have had success killing everything from red bugs to MEN to AEFW. I recommend a dip for about 10-15 minutes with a very good rinse before going back into your tank. The best way is to have 4 containers... each with 4 cups of tank water. The first add 5ml of Bayer Advanced Insect Killer Complete and stir slowly. Put the coral in and wait 10-15 minutes. After the specified time, swish the coral around with tweezers to help knock off any clinging pests. Then stick the coral in the second container of tank water. Let soak for 5 minutes and swish around. Then repeat for the next 2 containers. The reason i rinse the corals in 3 containers of tank water is to dilute and remove any remnants of this chemical before going into the tank. This product does not harm corals as far as I have seen but if you do not get it rinsed thoroughly, it will kill off any pod you have living in your tank and refugium. At one point, i had 2 acros infested with red bugs... i dipped one as specified and stuck it back in tank. I left second acro alone. These acros were right next to each other. After about 2 months, th dipped acro was still red bug free, but the second was still infested and completely browned out. I believe this product will stay within the soft flesh of the coral and help protect it from further infestation.

This is my observation and by all means not something I would try without risk of a tank wipe. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
I just did this dip with 40ml to 2 cups of tank water for 5min. The corals don't seem to be effected but the dip is so white I couldn't tell if anything feel off. I just did the dip to some new frags and not for anything in particular.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used up to full strength for over 30 minutes without effect to sps but just seemed to be a waste. the 5ml for 4 cups worked very well. I dip everything i get before it goes into my system..

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone else use this? Thinking of getting some as a preventative dip for future corals. Do people use it for just sps or lps too?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So its the Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer right? Where did you get this? Home Depot should carry it Im assuming?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
oy. So I dip everything in bug spray. Am I the only one terrified by that prospect? Is there anything that I absolutely should NOT do this with? Shrooms? Ricordias? Zoas? LPS? Rock?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Is there any more info on this? Im with Cindy, cant imagine dipping my exotic corals in bug spray and would like to learn more about this

I suggest reading the thread on RC. For nothing else but for your own comfort and that way something isn't left out. That being said I just dipped my purple monster with it. And if I would do that I must have confidence in it. One BIG key is to do a really good rince. Especially for smaller tanks.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK then. If you guys say it works, then it must work. Looks like I'm headed to Home Depot.
Do you do this in addition to CoralRx, et al? or does this one kill everything?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Advanced Dip for Reef Pests

Do I have to run carbon if I am just dipping my coral like You showed at the meeting.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i would run carbon whether you use the dip or not. but all in all, run carbon for 3 weeks , change it out, run new carbon for another 3 weeks. Afterwards, run carbon as you usually would.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Advanced Dip for Reef Pests

So just a a bag in the sump be ok or do I need to actually set up a reactor

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Advanced Dip for Reef Pests

Great info. I just ran out of coral rx so looks like this will be a great time to give this a try.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I use the Bayer Advance Home Pest plus germ killer same dip concentration as Smiley and have had good results.

2.5 mL to 2 cups (same as 5 mL to 4 cups)