Amazon Order

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all! I'm looking into buying a Kindle for my wifes Bday but I don't have an Amazon account. Anybody thinking of doing an Amazon order in the very near futur lol?? I'd love to tag along and I think the kindle itself gets us free shipping??

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang I just ordered a few things from them... Set up an account, only takes a couple minutes.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
hurrafreak;87774 said:
Hey all! I'm looking into buying a Kindle for my wifes Bday but I don't have an Amazon account. Anybody thinking of doing an Amazon order in the very near futur lol?? I'd love to tag along and I think the kindle itself gets us free shipping??
You will need and account (or she will) to buy the books. Even free ones. Just an FYI.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;87777 said:
Dang I just ordered a few things from them... Set up an account, only takes a couple minutes.
I've got accounts to everything lol, just don't want to set one up for something that I would hardly ever use haha.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
hurrafreak;87780 said:
lame lol!!!!
Sorry :p

But it is a good product.

I got one for my wife an she loves it. I made the mistake of using my amazon account tied to my email tied to my phone. She loves all the dumb free books and bought a lot of them. Each one sends an email (not like app store monthly summary) so my
Email/phone got spanned lol. Quickly changed it to her account.

So my lesson learned to you. Set it up with her email lol

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;87779 said:
I've got accounts to everything lol, just don't want to set one up for something that I would hardly ever use haha.
you might be surprised amazon has the walmart prices on everything ...i buy alot from there

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
dv3;87798 said:
you might be surprised amazon has the walmart prices on everything ...i buy alot from there
Same here. They also do great deals on game preorders.

My vote goes to kindle over nook for straight ereader. The eink is amazing on battery life, easy to read in any life, and easy on the eyes. My wife has eye troubles and can read eink for hours.

Color eink in the works will be the next big step.

Is that the new ad supported kindle?

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ChrisB;87809 said:
My vote goes to kindle over nook for straight ereader.
Me too... At this point Kindle is a much better reader than Nook. Amazon isn't going away and they have a better selection than B&N. One concern with Nook is the possibility that B&N shuts down their store fronts because of the increased number of electronic book purchases. That could be the end of Nook too.

ChrisB;87809 said:
Is that the new ad supported kindle?
Yes thats the kindle with advertisement on it. Depending how intrusive it is, it might be better to pay the extra $20. My hope is that they don't advertise when the book is open. I don't see why they can't make it free if they are going to add advertising, or if after a certain point the amount of advertising exceeds the amount you would have paid and will be turned off.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My wife has a Nook that has eink (I think) but it's impossible to read at night.
The reason I like the Nook is that it can show more formats than the kindle.
There are even programs out there that can convert kindle files to be readable on the Nook.

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 Sony Readers that use e-ink. I have read hundreds of books on them over the years. I bought my first one in 2007, so I have more experience than the average joe. For actual reading, e-ink wins every time. It doesn't ever strain your eyes. I have read entire books on an lcd screen and it definitely strains your eyes after a period of time. If I need to read in the dark, I just use a headlamp or a small book light.

A good program that will convert almost any format to work on any device, including the kindle:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the two big wigs are the Nook and the Kindle. With e-ink being some sort of application for the nook?? Great info guys, makes my bday gift getting a little easier haha.

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
E-ink is the screen technology made by two companies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink My Sony reader has the same screen as the Kindle. When comparing e-ink screens, there are newer versions of the screen that make it crisper, brighter, and have more contrast.

There are plenty of other readers out there that work really well and are similar price. This site has more info on them than anywhere I have seen. Reviews, specs, comparisons, etc...
http://www.mobileread.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
rangerbobb;87831 said:
E-ink is the screen technology made by two companies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink My Sony reader has the same screen as the Kindle. When comparing e-ink screens, there are newer versions of the screen that make it crisper, brighter, and have more contrast.

There are plenty of other readers out there that work really well and are similar price. This site has more info on them than anywhere I have seen. Reviews, specs, comparisons, etc...
http://www.mobileread.com/
THANKS!! Yeah I just read some of the E Ink stuff on Amazon. I doubt I'll get the $114 with the advertisements, I think I'm actually going to go with the $189 one with the 3G and the ability to use it globally? Who knows, I guess I'll keep looking lol. I'd still like to forego the actual signing up until it's her bday so we can do it together so if anybody needs something from Amazon I'd still like to jump on the order but if I must right now, I'll create an account lol.

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
A feature that I don't like about the Kindle is not being able to check books out from the library. Most libraries allow you to "check out" ebooks for 2 weeks or so. You can even check them out from other states. Pretty cool and saves you some money.

My husband has a Kindle and loves it. They had a presentation at work how to turn a Nook into an almost iPad. I'm trying to convince him to switch over to something else because the clamp on light for the Kindle is crappy. He has a slate also to read on but for some odd reason he loves his Kindle.

Amazon account is so worth it. Books, dvds, video games, gifts, much cheaper than anywhere else especially for stuff like blu rays, Walmart can't touch them. We have Prime so free 2 day shipping on most items. I've bought quite a bit of aquarium stuff on there lately as well. You can buy straight from the manufacturer like Brightwell for example.