1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

CB’s Elos 120 build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Cake_Boss, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Alright bros and brahs time to put this one up. I purchased an Elos 120 in September/October and the tank has been staring at me since. I originally planned on doing a subpanel just for the system, but then realized I’m not an electrician (nor can I afford one). On to plan B, turn everything in the house on and measure the load at the breaker box. Turns out I have some under utilized breakers, I’m a splice master so splice I shall. A few junction boxes, Wagos, and some waterproof fittings/boxes. And away we go.
    Decided to try the ZeoVit method for this one, mainly because of the awesome tank shots I’ve seen. The method seems well documented and repeatable.
    I have been gathering some equipment since I bought the tank[​IMG]
    Water hit the tank a few weeks ago and I started the cycle.

As far as corals, SPS dominant maybe some choice pieces to make keep it interesting.

I haven’t really thought about fish. The zeo forums recommend need an herbivore or two to start with.

Any suggestions?

2. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

More pics brah! Haha I have seen many great pics of the zeovit method too but just know it takes a ton of tinkering and I don’t think you can miss a day...

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Cake_Boss likes this.
  3. Cake_Boss

I’m still thinking about that one. Was thinking some dosing pumps would help with that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

4. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Sounds complicated! Keep it simple is all I can say! Not that you can’t do it but I know you have a lil one and time w catch up to you. Like doc said more pics bra!!

Cake_Boss and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  5. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

+1 more pics!

Cake_Boss likes this.
  6. Haddonisreef

Well don’t make me post pics in your build thread!;)

Cake_Boss and neil82 like this.
  7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

[​IMG]

Cake_Boss and neil82 like this.
  8. Cake_Boss

Jaja, you guys win....more pics are needed[​IMG][​IMG]

neil82 and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  9. Cake_Boss

So quick update, I’ve just been letting the tank cycle until I can find time to get the Apex and to start the zeo process. I top off the tank once per week. Well, I was topping off yesterday and left to go pick up family from the airport and left my top off water going. What this equates to is the tank was filling from about 9:30AM until 7:00 PM. The basement is soaked, luckily I have a drain. Nothing really got ruined except a few receptacles I hadn’t installed yet and some carpet.
    My SG is currently at 1.000.
    Basically I’m ripping out carpet and have to drain the tank to get the carpet under it as well.
    On the bright side, I can relocate the tank to a better spot anyway.

10. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

It always sucks when you have a flood and it wakes up your roommate by dripping on them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss likes this.
  11. Cake_Boss

12. neil82

Ah man, that sucks. Glad to hear your optimism with seeing opportunity to move tank to a better location. Are you going to get new carpet?

13. Cake_Boss

The wife wants new carpet, I’m not a carpet fan but it would be nice insulation from the basement slab.
    Also, she’s fuming mad so.....she’s wanting an Apex sooner rather than later.
    Couldn’t have planned it better if I tried

14. Cake_Boss

Well,
    “don’t have this happen again”
    “Of course, a controller will prevent this no problem”

15. neil82

Well played sir! It's a no brainer to get a controller now!!

Cake_Boss likes this.
  16. Dr.DiSilicate

Or... a float switch for 15 bucks. Lol I will not tell.

17. Cake_Boss

Oh yeah, definitely don’t tell her that.

18. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Pics brah!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss likes this.
  19. Haddonisreef

At least tank wasn’t stocked! Lesson learned I hope.

Cake_Boss likes this.
  20. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I think my wife wouldn’t even go for round two. If it happened once that would be the end of reefing for me.

Cake_Boss likes this.