Scoly help needed

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Hi all,

I have had this scoly for about 3 months. Left town and of course come back to a huge hole where the mouth used to be. Not sure if it melted or something perfectly ate it. The body of the coral looked a bit worse a few days ago but the mouth area is skeleton. Is there any hope for this? It responds to food and extends tentacles but it just kinda sits there, hard to say if it can intake small amounts or not. Any advice is appreciated.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If it still extends tentacles and is eating, then it should recover. I'd check under and around the coral and make sure there isnt some pest that could be causing issues though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had one do that too, never figured out why. I’d check that all your parameters are in line with where you usually keep them. Given time and a stable environment I think it’ll recover just fine.

Plus one on watching for a pest or a fish that nips at it.

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
It appears to be healing the mouth up. I moved to frag tank in very low light and low flow. Feeding reef roids every other day and a couple good water changes. Ill keep adding pictures but seems much better, hopefully keeps up the trend. Thanks all for the advice, appears to be working. You may be right on the pest, nothing but snails in frag and seems to be helping. Keep trying acan's in tank too and they're always shriveled up but happy in frag tank. Possibly my quickly growing emperor angel.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Haha ya the Emperor would be a VERY likely suspect