Cleaner Wrasse and Clams

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I recently added a cleaner wrasse that is eating well. So my clam has been closed up today and I was watching and the wrasse isn't nipping at the clam but flashing inside the clam. He sneaks in and rubs on the inside and takes off. Why would he choose the clam to do this in? Is this normal? How long do I give the wrasse before he gets the boot?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I did some checking and much to my dismay they are notorious clam nippers. Mine isn't nipping, but is agitating enough that I think it might have to go.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Any suggestions on how to catch this quick little bugger? The only thing he consistently comes back to is the clam, but my clam is the size of a football.

How long will the clam be okay being annoyed by this critter?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have a small fish trap but I am not sure if I can lure him in there.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Almost had him when he swam into a rock. I'll keep trying. Should be able to get him hiding and just pull the whole piece of rock.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's your best bet is pull a rock out w him in it, then just put in a bucket till he's out them pull the rock. Good luck man

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would try mysis shrimp in a fish trap. That's the only way I was ever able to catch my wrasses

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I will I tried for an hour and he literally swam circles around me.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I know clams aren't an Atlantic species but I might temporarily put it in the 180.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm going to pull the clam tomorrow and put it in the 180. I can't get rid of this bugger now that I found out it will eat pellets.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;360327 said:
I'm going to pull the clam tomorrow and put it in the 180. I can't get rid of this bugger now that I found out it will eat pellets.
Bummer. A cleaner that eats pellets!