How to rid invasive palys?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 'zoa garden' rock that has some green palys that are growing quite fast and taking over. What is the best way to eliminate them? I'm also looking to do this safely as I have concerns about toxins being released by the palys.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If you cant take the rock out, then Kalkwasser works. Just lay a heavy caking of it over some of them and let it sit for half hour to an hour. Run some extra carbon to help clear up any toxins they release. Might turn off the skimmer for a day or two as well.
If you can take it out. I would take it outside and drop the rock in a bucket of peroxide and let it sit in there for awhile. Then come back and scrub them off with a wire brush. Be sure to wear a dust mask, or respirator, eye protection and gloves.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If it is possible to get the rock out you might have luck picking at the base of the zoa with something like a credit card and might be able to get them off that way. But like Angel said....I just hit em with thick kalk paste.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What I’ve done in the past is use locking forceps and just pull them from the rock, but like Angel said wear protective gear.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalk paste has two risks ya just need to know. First, depending on the size of your tank and how much you're going to nuke, be mindful of the potential ALK spike as Kalk has somewhere near 14dkh. Second, it's kind of like a grenade - once you turn pumps back on, inevitably there will be parts that don't dissolve, and will kind of go around. Be aware that if a chunk lands on anything alive, it will burn it.

Another option, assuming you can tak the rock out, is sell the rock and replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the ideas. I can easily take out the rock, but I don't want to nuke the whole rock because of the other zoa colonies that I want to save. So I think I'll try scraping them off. Or even chiseling off if needed. I'll give it a go this weekend. Maybe I can make a few zoa frags while I'm at it.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, I will take that advice. Safety is one of my primary concerns and largely the reason I have not taken action sooner. Any other ideas or feedback is appreciated.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just as a FYI. Palytoxin is an organic protein. Only two ways to kill the toxin. Bleach and Ozone. Well there is 600° heat too. That means carbon will absorb it, but it doesn't kill it. Use caution when handling spent carbon.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I rip them off with bone cutters. Just grab and pull. I don't mind using kalk, but it will kill other nearby things too - if you do use kalk, you might have to do it 3-4 times a few days apart... they just don't want to die.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Isn't it funny....the things I do want, if I so much as look at them funny they up and die. The things I don't want can't be killed with repeated efforts of various kinds!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
There will be some bone cutters in the Reef ED prizes ;)

Thanks for the ideas. I can easily take out the rock, but I don't want to nuke the whole rock because of the other zoa colonies that I want to save. So I think I'll try scraping them off. Or even chiseling off if needed. I'll give it a go this weekend. Maybe I can make a few zoa frags while I'm at it.
I cut them in the tank right at the base directly before doing a water change. Suck the heads out with your siphoning hose, then use Kalk paste or., I use AptasiaX and cover the stalk and then do your water change with running a bit of carbon for any stray toxins. I just do not trust taking anything that, in my case has been in the same spot for years, out of the reef and start selectively trying to get those off. They close up tight and it is hard (at least mine did) because they mimic "good" zoas and disperse themselves in ans amognst the other. What's weird about those trash green Palys you describe is that they are primarily comprised of sand. They break down the rock and use the sand to create thier mass. Those white Flecks you see in their stalk is sand. Anyways. The above seems to work for me and with AptasiaX the Alk spike you may recieve is nullified. If not kept in check, they will sting the shit outta the other corals around them and outcompete them for food.
Hope you solve it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk