Copepods-BACK IN STOCK-LIMITED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey everyone,

First, I would like to thank you all for supporting my interest in culturing phytoplankton. I find the subject fascinating and the support really has pushed me to a level I never thought I'd reach. Next semester I have a research position growing microalgae with some interesting techniques that may make its way to commercial bio-diesel production!

When I first got into the saltwater hobby, my eyes widened and my mouth dropped when I saw the mandarin dragonet. Such a beautiful creature with an even more attractive price. However, after doing a bit of reading, it was evident that they require a delicate care.

Through MASCs support, I'm now culturing copepods and they seem to coming along quite nicely (knock on wood!). I now feel they are at the level that can support harvesting.

This batch of copepods is a mix of 2 strains and includes Tigriopus californicus

A 16 oz bottle of blended copepods will normally priced at $25.

However, I will be running a special that includes:

1 - 16 oz bottle of Live copepod blend
1 - 16 oz bottle of Live Tetraselmis and Live Nannochloropsis
1 - Free Shipping -- Overnight to almost everywhere in Colorado. I have yet to find a location that isn't overnight.

For only $30. Limited quantities. People who tried to purchase last time but were unable to last time receive priority.

Add a high-density, gut-loaded, enriched brine shrimp bottle to your package for only $10!

To order or if you have any questions, please reply to the thread or
PM: AlgaeBarn
Email: admin@algaebarn.com
or Call: 720-310-0130

My reputation is everything here on MASC, if I receive a bad review or lose reputation, then I have nothing and nobody will buy anything I sell. I am not in this for a fast buck.

I hope to increase my reputation and prestige here on MASC, so I will ensure that you will be happy with your purchase.

Mandarin Dragonet image was obtained courtesy of Luc Viatour / www.Lucnix.be.

Last edited by a moderator:

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And I just ordered some pods on Friday. But may have to order some more this Friday.
How many pods do you say there are in a bottle
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I honestly can't count them. I will attempt to count them through a method similar to counting of red blood cells. The theory behind a hemocytometer is to throughly mix a solution, then pull a measured volume and count the cells (copepods) in my case. This is repeated many times and then the concentration is calculated and multiplied by the total solution volume.

I haven't yet filled any bottles yet. I am neck deep in my senior design project which is due on Monday.

However, I will be performing dialysis(changing of their growth medium) so you obtain copepods in a FRESH solution of saltwater.
I will be exchanging 32 oz of culture medium with 16 oz fresh water. This means you get TWICE the concentration of copepods.

If I had to guess, I'd say on the order of 500 copepods. However, this is NOT a mix of copepods, amphipods, and isopods. This is JUST copepods.

If you have any other questions, or if you feel I did not adequately respond to your question, please feel free to reply.

My reputation is everything here on MASC, if I receive a bad review or lose reputation, then I have nothing and nobody will buy anything I sell. I am not in this for a fast buck.

I hope to increase my reputation and prestige here on MASC, so I will ensure that you will be happy with your purchase.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup lost me after the second sentence. Haha. But it looks good can't wait to get an order in and support the local

Hey Matt,

That's great to hear.

I'm pretty sure this method is what most of industry uses (they might be able to afford nice optical microscopes so they can actually use hemocytometery).
However, I doubt they concentrate their pods -- as I do -- as that cuts quite deeply into potential profits.

1. So I'll pull some water out of my copepod culture with a beaker.
2. I will then swirl the water in the beaker around to make sure through mixing occurs.
3. While the water is still swirling, I will pull out 5 mL.
4. I will then try to count all the copepods in this 5mL. (they will not be added back into the beaker after counting)
5. I will then repeat steps 2-4 of this process at least 5 times.
6. I will then do some data analysis to determine the average, standard deviation and so forth.
7. For packaging, I will pull 32 oz of culture water out.
8. I will strain all the pods with fresh water while the old water gets thrown out.
9. Repeat step 8 several times.
10. Backwash all the pods in the filter into 16 oz of fresh saltwater.
11. Add a dab of phytoplankton to absorb ammonia and so the copepods have food to eat.
12. Ship the copepods to you!

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I need pods and would love to buy from you!

These copepods are smaller than tigger pods. I will attempt to start a culture of tigger pods later this December once the semester is finished.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can I get just a bottle of copepods?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've been using his nanoplhchfvhdx...uhh, green stuff, lol, for about 2 months now and wow is all I can say. His product is amazing. My corals are loving it, my pods are loving it. I will def continue using his over lfs anyway. Simply amazing.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
bush8984;210319 said:
I've been using his nanoplhchfvhdx...uhh, green stuff, lol, for about 2 months now and wow is all I can say. His product is amazing. My corals are loving it, my pods are loving it. I will def continue using his over lfs anyway. Simply amazing.
+1 def loving the phyto in my 20l. Sean put me down for a batch as well!!!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
BPreefer;210322 said:
Put me down for 1. When will these be ready to ship?
Put me down for one. You can include ours in same package as we live a mile or so away.

These should be shipped on Wednesday and you should receive them Thursday!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are willing to sell it alone, put me down for a bottle of pods for sure. Couldn't be happier with the phyto I got from you.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;210324 said:
Put me down for one. You can include ours in same package as we live a mile or so away.
Mind if I jump in on the shipping too.?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;210337 said:
Mind if I jump in on the shipping too.?

No we don't like you Matt. Lol Jk I don't see why not saves shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.