Couple IDs...

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
First, thank you to everyone on these forums. This is a great, helpful community.

First pic is a...well that's the question. I thought these were zoa's, but I'm pretty sure this one moved, a long way, so I'm wondering if these are rock anemones:
View attachment 12444

Second pic is some...thing that is growing near my zoas and seems to be irritating them (in the red box). Picture is not great, but looks like fuzz or something. Second (implied) part of this question is how do I get rid of it? Scrape it off? Thanks!
View attachment 12445

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to tell from both. The first pic looks more like a majano than a rock nem, which if it is should be killed before it has a chance to spread.

The second pic I cant see well enough to know what it is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya first pic looks like a majano, but not totally sure with that pic. If it is, Kill it with fire, and look for more of them.
Second is hard to tell but looks like a sponge

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to tell from both. The first pic looks more like a majano than a rock nem, which if it is should be killed before it has a chance to spread.

The second pic I cant see well enough to know what it is.

OK, thanks for the heads up. In googling, it appears that majano nems are similar to elegant nems. This was from Chris's 500 gallon tank he just tore down, and while I didn't see it before, apparently it wasn't overrun with these things. Better picture below, and below that better pic of the other stuff.
View attachment 12446 View attachment 12447

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The better pics definitely look like a majano and sponges. I would use kalk paste or aptasia X to kill the majano before it has a chance to spread. They spread almost as fast as aptasia with a potent sting. The sponges are harmless and will eventually be overgrown by the zoas.

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The better pics definitely look like a majano and sponges. I would use kalk paste or aptasia X to kill the majano before it has a chance to spread. They spread almost as fast as aptasia with a potent sting. The sponges are harmless and will eventually be overgrown by the zoas.

Well crap on a stick. I pulled all of them out of the tank. I stuck them in my QT for now since they're so pretty I couldn't bear to throw them away. Is there any safe place or use for them? No chance its some other nem?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, majanos are very pretty, and you got a an extra pretty one there. But the reason we kill them with fire, is because they spread like wildfire. In a very short amount of time they can completely overrun everything in the tank. Sting and kill all the coral and fish in the tank. Nothing will host them either, as they will eat any fish they can get a hold of. Have seen people keep them in a 'pest' tank by themselves, but almost nothing can live with them.