Overflow setup advice needed for 25g cube

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi,
I'm brand new. I bought a CL setup consisting of a 25 gallon cube marineland tank with stand, sump, skimmer, heater, etc. I bought a light (Maxspect ethereal) as well. The tank was setup previously with a HOB overflow and over the back return line. I would like to drill for a cleaner look, but not sure what the best setup would be. I first thought of doing a through the back overflow, but the tank's size means that it would push my light off center. :/

After some googling/amazoning, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aq...515012429&sr=1-1&keywords=corner+overflow+box

Does that make the most sense, or is there a better/simpler solution?

thanks!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Because of the size of your tank I suggest a ghost style but it will cost more. Here’s the link, the Black box is inside the tank while the clear box is on the outside. And you can off set this to one side if you wanted. You will still need to drill returns but will take up less space inside your tank. There is a smaller version of that model but everyone says to get the size above what you need especially if you have high return rate.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eclipse-m-overflow-box-800-gph-eshopps.html

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! That's one option I was looking at, but even pushed all the way to one side it still moves my light off center. Maybe I need to get a different light.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There’s no problem with the Durso though. Even better turn the return into an emergency overflow and drill your returns beside the overflow where you want.

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
There’s no problem with the Durso though. Even better turn the return into an emergency overflow and drill your returns beside the overflow where you want.
True, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Where's the best place to buy those? Apparently the one I found does not have the weir included.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just like to drill a hole, put in the bulkhead and then an 90 degree elbow and a strainer. I don't like how the overflows take up so much room in the tank.