HELP! Soft Corals Dying

Hi- I have a 100 gallon tank and have had it for about 4 years now. I don't have a ton of corals in there (frogspawn, zoas, mini maxi, orange monti and plate coral). Over the last month all of a sudden all my soft corals seem to be dying/not opening up. I lost my mini maxi, my 2 zoa small colonies haven't been out for weeks and now have a brown color to them, lost my plate coral and the frogspawns are barely opening up. I haven't changed anything, I have had all these corals for about a year and my water tests have all come back fine. Thinking I was wrong with my tests I took water samples to two different LFS and they tested them, everything was fine except Iodine was a little low and SG was a little on the low side (1.021). I have AI LEDS, a refugium and a skimmer running. All my fish are fine and the inverts are fine as well. I don't know what to do. I have done water changes, tried dosing a little Iodine the past week but nothing is changing. I have been trying to do research online but most everything is from people who have new corals and as I said mine are almost all a year old, maybe even a little older. Can anyone help give me some suggestions? The Orange Monti I have is ok I think, Bright orange and looks as if it has little polyps on it.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: HELP! Soft Corals Dying

Any recently new fish additions? Also in my opinion, keeping salinity of 1.021 is way to low for mixed reef.

CRW Reef;216305 said:
Any recently new fish additions? Also in my opinion, keeping salinity of 1.021 is way to low for mixed reef.
Yeah, I have been slowly raising that up since last week. I guess I need to get a refractometer or something because my hydrometer was showing it at 1.024. My most recent fish was a blue tang about 5 months ago.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd get your salinity up...you can increase it by .001 daily without too much concern. Also try running some carbon in your tank and keep replenishing it every few days until you see some improvement...then maybe weekly after that. If you lost a nem and some zoas, there is a good chance you have toxins in the tank that are effecting other corals.

Live rock, chaeto and live sand. The light is on 24/7 in there and has been for a couple years. All the corals were fine for a year and just this month started doing this. Thanks for the reading the post.

jahmic;216311 said:
I'd get your salinity up...you can increase it by .001 daily without too much concern. Also try running some carbon in your tank and keep replenishing it every few days until you see some improvement...then maybe weekly after that. If you lost a nem and some zoas, there is a good chance you have toxins in the tank that are effecting other corals.
What is the best way to go about running carbon? By replenish you mean each day take out the carbon and put new stuff in or something? Sorry, I have never done that before so I just don't know. Is it too late for the zoas you think? The frogspawns are at least still visible.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HELP! Soft Corals Dying

Have you stirred up any sand bed recently, especially in the refugium? I also suspect toxins of some kind. Like jahmic said, get your salinity back up with water changes maybe do a big change right away? (I'd do 5 gal daily, both to raise salinity slowly and combat the toxins) And run carbon.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HELP! Soft Corals Dying

You can put carbon in a bag in your sump in a high flow area, I'd change it every few days.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;216316 said:
You can put carbon in a bag in your sump in a high flow area, I'd change it every few days.
What he said...place it in the sump in an area that gets good flow and just dump the carbon out of the bag every few days and refresh it with a new batch.

jahmic;216311 said:
What is the best way to go about running carbon? By replenish you mean each day take out the carbon and put new stuff in or something? Sorry, I have never done that before so I just don't know. Is it too late for the zoas you think? The frogspawns are at least still visible.

Zooid;216339 said:
What percentages are you running with your AI?
and when did you get the lights?
Whites are at like 50 and blues at 65 or something like that. I got them one year ago. I was told the lights wouldn't need to be changed for about 5 years.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The lights should be fine if they've been running at that percentage for a year.
I only asked because when I first got my AI's, I set them at 35-40% and it fried all my SPS corals
and my LPS and softies didn't like it either.

I put in a carbon media bag last night. I just put it where the water falls over into my sump. I hope that is ok. How long do you think it would take until I noticed if that is helping or not? Also, how long should I leave the bag full of carbon in there? Some people have said a few days but the LFS said a month or more?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kim5kaiser;216474 said:
I put in a carbon media bag last night. I just put it where the water falls over into my sump. I hope that is ok. How long do you think it would take until I noticed if that is helping or not? Also, how long should I leave the bag full of carbon in there? Some people have said a few days but the LFS said a month or more?
As a part of regular maintenance in my tanks, I change carbon monthly...I think that's pretty common. But...if you have toxins in the tank and corals that have died, it's better to change it every few days since the carbon will be exhausted faster as it removes whatever is floating around in your tank.

It's hard to say how long it will be before you notice any difference...safest bet is to just get the salinity in range and keep changing the carbon every 3-5 days. I think once your salinity is where it needs to be you will probably stop losing corals. Some of the corals in there that are looking bad may be too far gone to save, so there's no telling if things will bounce back or if instead you will just stop seeing corals decline in health. I'd just get the salinity back up and keep changing carbon until the tank looks healthy again, then switch to changing the carbon every month instead of every few days.

To put things in perspective, when I first started my tank I almost lost some zoas and had an acan die on me rather quickly. Turned out my refractometer wasn't calibrated correctly and my SG was 1.021. I got that calibrated, raised my salinity, and my zoas bounced back...haven't had similar issues since then.