fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it that yellow? Might have to work out a trade down the road

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;326536 said:
So far... but that is kinda what I am asking... :)
I just meant is it really that yellow. Certainly hope it stays if it is they bright

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you get a new yellow highlighter? The one that I got from you more than a year ago has a bit more green and the axial corallites are different. It is cool, but different... or perhaps I mixed up the names.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is something I noticed since I've measured and dosed iodine, my yellow acros are more yellow, and reds are more red.... not sure if it's dumb luck, or if iodine helped

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Excessive halogens can be quite dangerous. There is a difference between iodine, iodide and iodate in the reef tank, so I hope that you read about dosing iodine before you did it. RHF wrote some awesome articles for AA a long time ago about this.

You will see similar articles about potassium and even iron. Potassium Iodate comes in a nice little package.

My basic theory is that when people have an increased awareness in their tank that sometimes they seek methods or supplements to get better. Later, they might realize that it was the increased awareness, in aggregate, that led to the upswing in the tank and not any supplement. This increased awareness also might give them a "better eye" to notice things that they might not have noticed before.

I don't think that anybody has any answers, but if you are careful it seems apparent that no harm can be done.

This is one of the many reasons why I advocate for a reefer to use a solid reef-quality salt and change water regularly... cheap salt is not too bueno with trace and micro elements or have them in a form that is either unusable or quickly deteriorates. Salt mixes are NOT ALL THE SAME and they matter A LOT.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Instant Ocean or Tropic Marin. I like the bags and I mix a bag at a time for best results. I do have to dry mix the Tropic Marin. I would use Salinity third, but the calcium and alk mix too high for my liking. There are many other salts that are decent, but have too high of Calcium and Alk, but the trace/minor elements appear OK. I will never use Kent, Coralife and Red Sea. IO mixes well, comes in bags and it is cheap - I got boxes of it cheaper than the last Kent group buy.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;326600 said:
Instant Ocean or Tropic Marin. I like the bags and I mix a bag at a time for best results. I do have to dry mix the Tropic Marin. I would use Salinity third, but the calcium and alk mix too high for my liking. There are many other salts that are decent, but have too high of Calcium and Alk, but the trace/minor elements appear OK. I will never use Kent, Coralife and Red Sea. IO mixes well, comes in bags and it is cheap - I got boxes of it cheaper than the last Kent group buy.
What's the issue with kent? I've seen great tanks with many salts. If it's lacking in some way I'd love to know. Ever looked at fritz? I won a very heavy bucket at macna.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Dr.HarlemTutu;326707 said:
What's the issue with kent? I've seen great tanks with many salts. If it's lacking in some way I'd love to know. Ever looked at fritz? I won a very heavy bucket at macna.
I currently use kent but will be switching to fritz soon. Problem with Kent is that each bag is very inconsistent in its numbers, every bag gives you something different, which is kind of a pain in teh ***

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It mixes way too high in calcium and alk for my needs - it is hard to bring back down to NSW... and y'all know how important that I think that NSW parms are for a healthy reef. It is very inconsistent - not from box to box in a batch, but from month to month. It sometimes will have dangerous levels of iodine it in and other times none. Magnesium has been over 2500 at times. I have seen fresh mixed Kent turn cuprisorb blue right after being mixed - so it had heavy metals in it... but not every time. Does anybody use it in the buckets? If so, then it is way worse since it settles more than any other salt that I have ever seen. This is the main problem with coralife - I personally believe that it is the exact same salt as the kent only it is in buckets and settles out.

I haven't used Fritz since they closed their businesses in Kansas City about twenty years ago. I don't recall much about it. If it is in a bucket, then I would suggest dry mixing it very well.

I do think that most higher-end hobbyists that are aware enough to tell subtle differences in their tanks could tell a huge difference if they switched from Kent to another salt... many, many have.

I do use the TM Pro if my calcium and alk have drifted a bit high. It mixes out around 6 and 400, so it is nearly the perfect SPS salt since a few tablespoons of baking soda will get it to 6.8.

For me, I can get IO for less a box than what the last Kent group by was, so why risk using a non-known commodity. I can probably do a group by if we can get enough for a pallet or two.