Kole and Yellow tangs together

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I brought home a gorgeous Kole Tang yesterday and put him in my 90 dt, knowing I would never get my yellow tang out of the fuge. My wife and stepson decided to be helpful last night after I went to bed, and finished moving my fish, including the yellow tang, from the fuge into the 90dt. I very much appreciate their intentions and help, but I don't want a dead tang. Any success stories or do I need to tear apart my 90?
In the 30 or so minutes I have been watching them, there is no aggression or sign of injury. The Yellow is following the Kole though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Kole and Yellow tangs together

I have a blue eye bristle tooth with a yellow, yellow in second. Some aggression at first but all good now. 5foot tank. I keep the lights dim for a day or so to help with the aggression. Introducing in the evening is a good idea as well. They are very different body type and color, all should be good.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did some Google based research. General advice is that they should be ok. I was flipped out at first though. Thanks!

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I would guess that they will be fine. My understanding (from reading over the last few years), which echos the Dr.'s post, is that adding tangs of different genus and adding them at the same time is the recipe for success. Tangs are territorial herbivores and their aggression comes from protecting their feeding territory from others like them. Adding them to your tank at relatively the same time is good because they have not had a chance to claim their territory yet. In November, I added powder blue tang to my 5ft tank with an existing yellow tang that I have had for three years. The yellow tang chased the powder blue around pretty aggressively for 3-4 days. and then gave up. Now, those two fish are usually in the same vicinity and get along great. I think that it also helped that both fish are well fed (different frozen foods, nori with garlic) and healthy.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
They are different types of tangs, so they should get along fine. Since the yellow just went in, if you add the kole now they likely will sort out their standings pretty quick since the yellow hasnt had time to stake out his territory. If you need to wait a bit on the kole then either use an acclimation box, or after adding the kole, do lights out for a few days on the tank, and they should be good to go from there.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya they should be good. Neither has staked his territory so Id think you wont see any aggression between the two.