Lighting options

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve a 65 wide (36x24x16) tank that’s been operating for ~10 years, which is pretty much bare rock and three fish (been in the back seat of the struggle bus for the last few years). I pulled out the sand and am going with zoas and other softies to blanket the BB, with sticks in the future.
My goal is to have T5’s with one (or two) of the Kessil models over time. I’m going piecemeal so I can go slowly and really understand what is happening with nutrient transport as I add fish and corals, which was the main cause of failure in the past.
My question is: should I go with a two-bulb retro or four-bulb to start with?

I like the two-bulb option because I don’t need a lot of PAR as the tank is only 16” deep and I’m adding LEDs in the future, but I get better color combos out of the four-bulb and a guarantee that I’m not underlighting any corals on the bottom.

Thoughts?

And if anyone has a link handy of meetings/events so I can bring my membership current (or if I need to write a check instead) I’d appreciate it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I’ve a 65 wide (36x24x16) tank that’s been operating for ~10 years, which is pretty much bare rock and three fish (been in the back seat of the struggle bus for the last few years). I pulled out the sand and am going with zoas and other softies to blanket the BB, with sticks in the future.
My goal is to have T5’s with one (or two) of the Kessil models over time. I’m going piecemeal so I can go slowly and really understand what is happening with nutrient transport as I add fish and corals, which was the main cause of failure in the past.
My question is: should I go with a two-bulb retro or four-bulb to start with?

I like the two-bulb option because I don’t need a lot of PAR as the tank is only 16” deep and I’m adding LEDs in the future, but I get better color combos out of the four-bulb and a guarantee that I’m not underlighting any corals on the bottom.

Thoughts?

And if anyone has a link handy of meetings/events so I can bring my membership current (or if I need to write a check instead) I’d appreciate it.
I would maybe do 2 bulb and then think about adding NicoBars from Reef Delight instead of the kessil. The nicobars will fit in better with the t5s, and they have better color imo. They are more affordable too

As for meetings and such, we only managed 2 meetings last year before everything shut down, and everything mostly been in stasis for the time being. We are hoping to maybe get a summer outdoor bbq meeting of some sort, and hopeful more later in the year once we are able to at least have 10 or more people together. Nothing planned yet though, so still playing it by ear

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately from what I’ve seen online the Nicobars won’t give me the point-source shimmer I’m after.
But if you reckon two bulbs will work for zoas in the short term, I’ll go with that and add the LEDs sooner if I really don’t like the color. Is ATI Coral Plus the bulb of choice for two-bulb systems?

I settled on Kessil because of the Logic. I’ve learned that I need to remove as many variables as possible (like going BB), and the spectrum curve they dial in does that. I’m willing to pay to get fewer things I can F up.

Thank you for the state-of-the-club update.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ATI Blue + is generally the main bulb, or Geismann Super actinic. Coral + is a good bulb but fairly white in color

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I realized I had a VHO super actinic setup so I reinstalled that. Would Blue+ solo be better than VHO and Coral+ or just different?

Can the VHOs grow zoas or should I wait for the T5?
I really appreciate the advice.
Now to find a 36” two-bulb setup...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The vhos should grow some zoa, as will the coral +. Blue+ solo or combined with another bulb really is just a matter of preference mostly. The blues do bring out more of the coral colors, but some prefer the more natural light look.
If you are going to do t5s with a kessil, you might consider just going for one of these hybrid lights. Its a 4 bulb t5 with brackets to hold the kessil between them.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-h...ji2h9s7Ehl6EJOZsLZIfje2elqTxONSEaAtOlEALw_wcB