Looking for macro algae and mangroves.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm looking for some cool macro algaes as well as mangroves. Does anyone have any and or know where I could find some? Trying to get my seahorse tank to have some color...

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dunno about locally but check out gulf coast ecosystems or LA reefs. Other options like salty bottom reef or kp aquatics but this cold winter in the gulf dampened collections

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I ordered some online. I know some of the local shops will get mangroves in once in a while. I think I saw some at AquaMart.

After the experience I’ve had, QT everything you get. I picked up pandora’s Box of bad stuff from an online source just from the macros. I had the best of intentions to QT fish and coral. Don’t know why I didn’t do the same with algae.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ordered some online. I know some of the local shops will get mangroves in once in a while. I think I saw some at AquaMart.

After the experience I’ve had, QT everything you get. I picked up pandora’s Box of bad stuff from an online source just from the macros. I had the best of intentions to QT fish and coral. Don’t know why I didn’t do the same with algae.
Thanks for the advice I wouldn't think to qt algae... But it makes since. Where do you order online?

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
The vendors that aquaculture macroalgae tend to grow them in fishless systems.
Anything could come with the vendors that collect wild macroalgae, even fish. I've gotten oysters, snails (good and bad), etc.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The vendors that aquaculture macroalgae tend to grow them in fishless systems.
Anything could come with the vendors that collect wild macroalgae, even fish. I've gotten oysters, snails (good and bad), etc.
This is why I was hoping to find someone here that could sell me some that they've had and know is clean. Buying online scares me.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
In that case, GCE is great. The only hitchhiker I got was a young brittlestar inside of a sponge.
I don't have experience with KP Aquatics or Salty Bottom but they have a great rep.
I'd recommend Diver Tom (now Caribbean Tropicals) because at $1/piece, his wild macroalgae are awesome. I'm more than willing to look for hitchhikers if that means additional biodiversity.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
In that case, GCE is great. The only hitchhiker I got was a young brittlestar inside of a sponge.
I don't have experience with KP Aquatics or Salty Bottom but they have a great rep.
I'd recommend Diver Tom (now Caribbean Tropicals) because at $1/piece, his wild macroalgae are awesome. I'm more than willing to look for hitchhikers if that means additional biodiversity.
Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So how does Caribbean tropicals web page work? Do i just look at their availability list and keep checking until they have what I'm looking for?

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nah. It's a one man show so it's best to just email and make a request. It'll be typical keys stuff so keep that in mind. No fancy padina or Pacific species. Some things that are abundant will be easier but if you're picky and say, want sargassum, that only shows up when the ocean currents puls it in from the sargassum sea. Probably should just email and ask him what to expect.
I forgot earlier to add reefcleaners to the list of good vendors.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nah. It's a one man show so it's best to just email and make a request. It'll be typical keys stuff so keep that in mind. No fancy padina or Pacific species. Some things that are abundant will be easier but if you're picky and say, want sargassum, that only shows up when the ocean currents puls it in from the sargassum sea. Probably should just email and ask him what to expect.
I forgot earlier to add reefcleaners to the list of good vendors.
Thanks I'll definitely shoot him an email! Thanks for all your help. I'll check that other one out as well.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Don't know how many mangroves you need, but you can find them on eBay in larger quantities for cheap.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ive had great success with these guys,
https://www.live-plants.com/
but no matter where you get it from. it prolly a good idea to put it in qt for at least a few days to observe anything that might have come along for the ride