Marinepure Block pest question

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So we have a Marine pure block that used to be in a tank that at one time had monti eating flat worms. We are not certain that they had been wiped out and they may have been controlled by a 6-line wrasse. We recently set up a couple of 40 breeders as frag tanks at school and wanted to put this block in the sump. Any recommendations for how to do this safely? Can we treat the block with anything to ensure that they are all dead without drying it and wiping out the beneficial bacteria? Or toss it call it a wash and order few new ones?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My intuition is that if you put them in a tank without a food source for them, they would die off after a while. Not sure if that’s accurate or what their lifecycle is. Might have to wait for a few months?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Don’t currently have too many montis to begin with so in it might be okay.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree with Jacob, no food and they die... also, I wonder if a dip would help? Or a fresh water dip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Jodi said the only thing she knows to kill the adults is Bayer. What do you think about a Bayer dip?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Jodi said the only thing she knows to kill the adults is Bayer. What do you think about a Bayer dip?

I think you need to rinse the crap outa stuff with the Bayer dip... so keep that in mind. Those blocks are pretty porous.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think you need to rinse the crap outa stuff with the Bayer dip... so keep that in mind. Those blocks are pretty porous.

That was my thought too. I think what we will do is go ahead and use it. She said it hasn’t had any food for a while so chances are they’re dead. Even so we won’t be adding any montis to the frag tanks for a while.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I say keep food out of the tank so I guess monti’s, let them die off and don’t dip. Keep the bacteria as happy as possibly.