1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Metal halide lighting discussion

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by neil82, Jan 19, 2019.

1. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

It sounds like there are a few of us that are going to start running MH lights. I personally have very limited experience with MH lighting so I am starting this thread to facilitate conversation, questions, and personal experiences. Special thanks to @jda123 for answering my questions up to this point. I know there are plenty of these threads out on the national forums, but let's have our own for us local reefers here in CO.

2. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Well I just picked up 3 Reef Brite 15” pendants with the leds on the side. Came with 400watt ballasts but my tank is only 21” deep so I’m sure I’ll have to buy 250’s.

neil82 and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  3. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Set it and forget it. You wont be disappointed for sure. I am really digging the 400 radium.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JuanGutz and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Are you still running the t5's as supplements? What is your lighting schedule like?

5. neil82

How high above water are you hanging the lights? And for @MuralReef what kind of bulbs are you currently running and what have you tried in the past?

6. Andrew_bram

Led strips 12 hours halide 5.5 hours[​IMG][​IMG]

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. JuanGutz

How deep is your tank?

8. Andrew_bram

150cube I think its 27 inches.

9. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I run 4 Phoenix 250 watt for 8 hours a day and 2-400 watt Radium bulbs for 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

neil82 and kchristensen8064 like this.
  10. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

The blue of the Radiums is similar the Phoenix bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

neil82 likes this.
  11. neil82

That is quite the arsenal of lights!

MuralReef and kchristensen8064 like this.
  12. neil82

Here's the fixture I'm hanging up today. 14k phoenix bulbs with ATI blue plus x 2. I can't wait to see what this looks like on the tank. 20190119_164732-1200x1600.jpg 20190119_193026-1200x1600.jpg

13. neil82

Up and running. IMG_20190120_140815-1200x1600.jpg

14. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

15. JuanGutz

upload_2019-1-20_17-11-9.jpeg

400watt 20k radium w/ two reefbrite leds on both sides. Right now par appears to be 150 on the sand and 300 at the top. Let it warm up longer and I’ll test it again.

16. neil82

Looks great Juan. How high up is your fixture?

17. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

@JuanGutz did you start yours today? If so that makes 3 of us converting to MH in 1 day!

JuanGutz likes this.
  18. Andrew_bram

It's a movement. You will never go back to leds

jda123, JuanGutz and kchristensen8064 like this.
  19. JuanGutz

@TheRealChrisBrown Yup it’s plugged in but going have to see the par levels to determine if I’ll keep it at 400watts. If I have to go down to 250 I’ll have to wait till I can buy a new ballast and bulb. Last night the par actually didn’t seem overly high but the temp rose pretty quickly.

20. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Anybody feel free to PM or post and I can help with just about any MH question. Always happy to help or demonstrate on my tanks or loan out some spare units for testing and stuff.

Most MH heat can be easily mitigated in this climate by a simple fan that comes on with the light. Don't get cute and use a temp controller to wait until the temp starts to rise... you are already behind when this happens. I just turn on a fan with the light and my tanks never raise more than .1 or .2 even with no AC in July. I use a three-speed vornado and turn it up in the summer and down or off in the winter. In the winter the heaters will still run with the MH on.

scmountain and SynDen like this.