My Experience with Denver Reef Stores

In the last few weeks I have been to these 6 stores, so I wanted to share my experiences so that others may learn. I hope you find it useful. I will go in order from Best to worst, and ratings will be based upon the store that I feel is the best.

1) Aquatic Art: Cris and Nicole run the best shop in Denver. Clean, Friendly, Great selection of Healthy corals and great prices. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ***** The store and tanks are always clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: ***** Cris is one of the most Knowledgable reefers in Denver and if his staff doesn't know the answers they ask him.

c) Health of Corals ***** It is rare that you will see a sick fish or coral.

d) Selection and Prices ***** They have the best selection and Prices in Denver.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 9/$10. I will compare prices of these between the stores as they reflect the general overall prices.

2) Neptunes: Sharon has been at this location for many many years and has a nice shop. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean, but when I was there there were a few saltwater tanks that had very dirty glass.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: **** They are busy so they aren't as attentive as I would like.

c) Health of Corals **** They don't have a lot of fish or corals, but what they have are in good shape.

d) Selection and Prices *** Minimal selection of corals and fish, but have a very nice selection of inverts.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 6/$10. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

3) AquaMart: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: *** They are reasonably friendly and ask if I need help, but not much else.

c) Health of Corals **** The corals seem reasonably healthy.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a decent selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Assorted Hermit Crabs $3 each. I found this to be reflective of the store Not the best organized and very Expensive.

4) EliteReef: Here is how I rate them.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi, but did not offer any help after that. Horrible service.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a limited selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs 10/$15. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

5) Murrman's Reef Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness * The Tanks looked as if the glass hadn't been cleaned in weeks. To me this is a reflection of how well the tanks are cared for.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi and asked if I was looking for anything. I said I was looking for Hermit Crabs and Turbo snails. One of the people d disappeared to go look for snails. 5 minutes later he showed up but had forgotten what he was doing. When he was asked he gave me a blank looked and said they didn't have any. Poor Service.

c) Health of Corals *** The corals seem reasonably healthy, but the tanks were so dirty that it was hard to tell. I didn't like the lighting either as it was hard to see how the corals were doing. I would not buy anything from this store.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a limited selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs Not sure.

6) Todd's Tropical Fish: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ** The tanks are always on the dirty side.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * Sam is a very nice guy, but doesn't really seem interested in running a shop or helping people. At least with the salt water fish.

c) Health of Corals * I wouldn't take one if they were given to me.

d) Selection and Prices * Very poor. As far as dry goods they are at least double the price as what you would pay on Amazon. If you are serious about Salt Water avoid this place.

These are my observations and I feel they truly reflect my experiences. If you are serious about Salt Water Fish and Corals go to Aquatic Art and skip the res.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really like this breakdown! It's like a food critic for restaurants. I think this would be awesome for all of the stores in Northern Colorado. I think if the stores read these it could also show them what they can do to improve. Great job on this, and it would definitely help me when deciding what stores to visit, since when I do, I have to make a day out of it due to living up north.

I went to 4 more stores today so I have added them to my reviews.

In the last few weeks I have been to these 6 stores, so I wanted to share my experiences so that others may learn. I hope you find it useful. I will go in order from Best to worst, and ratings will be based upon the store that I feel is the best.

1) Aquatic Art: Cris and Nicole run the best shop in Denver. Clean, Friendly, Great selection of Healthy corals and great prices. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ***** The store and tanks are always clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: ***** Cris is one of the most Knowledgable reefers in Denver and if his staff doesn't know the answers they ask him.

c) Health of Corals ***** It is rare that you will see a sick fish or coral.

d) Selection and Prices ***** They have the best selection and Prices in Denver.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 9/$10. I will compare prices of these between the stores as they reflect the general overall prices.

2) Keeping It Reef: This store has only been there 3 months, but has lots of potential.

a) Cleanliness *** The Store is just starting up so they are working on it.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: **** Both owners were there are were very friendly, Nice people.

c) Health of Corals **** The corals and fish looked to be in good health.

d) Selection and Prices *** They had a small but decent selection of fish and corals. Fish prices were marked, but not corals. I encouraged them to mark the prices.

e) Hermit Crabs. Can't remember what type of crabs but they were $1.99 each.

3) Neptunes: Sharon has been at this location for many many years and has a nice shop. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean, but when I was there there were a few saltwater tanks that had very dirty glass.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: **** They are busy so they aren't as attentive as I would like.

c) Health of Corals **** They don't have a lot of fish or corals, but what they have are in good shape.

d) Selection and Prices *** Minimal selection of corals and fish, but have a very nice selection of inverts.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 6/$10. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

4) AquaMart: Here is how I rate them.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: *** They are reasonably friendly and ask if I need help, but not much else.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a decent selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Assorted Hermit Crabs $3 each. I found this to be reflective of the store Not the best organized and very Expensive.

5) Tropical Pet Oasis. A small shop in Parker.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks were reasonably clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: **** They greeted me and asked a few times if I needed help.

c) Health of Corals *** They seemed to be decent, but it was hard to tell because of the lighting and water flow. Some shops will turn down the pumps during business hours to help with viewing. Actinic lighting really helps make corals pop too.

d) Selection and Prices ** Most of the corals were beginner corals that were reasonably priced. They did have some Toxic Green Hammers that were $100 for 1 or 2 heads. That was way overpriced. Probably 40-50% more expensive than AquaticArt. The fish were not priced.

e) Red Legged Hermit Crab Prices $2.10 each.

6) EliteReef: Here is how I rate them.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi, but did not offer any help after that. Horrible service.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs 10/$15. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

7) Murrman's Reef Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness * The Tanks looked as if the glass hadn't been cleaned in weeks. To me this is a reflection of how well the tanks are cared for.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi and asked if I was looking for anything. I said I was looking for Hermit Crabs and Turbo snails. One of the people d disappeared to go look for snails. 5 minutes later he showed up but had forgotten what he was doing. When he was asked he gave me a blank looked and said they didn't have any. Poor Service.

c) Health of Corals *** The corals seem reasonably healthy, but the tanks were so dirty that it was hard to tell. I didn't like the lighting either as it was hard to see how the corals were doing. I would not buy anything from this store.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs Not sure.

8) The Fish Reef.

a) Cleanliness *** The store and tanks were reasonable clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: *They did not acknowledge my presence when I was there.

c) Health of Corals *** They were reasonable healthy.

d) Selection and Prices * Small selection and most were not priced.

9) The King of Aquariums.

a) Cleanliness *** The store was reasonably clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: *** They did greet me and asked if there was anything I needed.

c) Health of Corals *** The corals seemed reasonably healthy.

d) Selection and Prices * Small selection of Beginner frags that were $40 each. Way overpriced.

10) Todd's Tropical Fish: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ** The tanks are always on the dirty side.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * Sam is a very nice guy, but doesn't really seem interested in running a shop or helping people. At least with the salt water fish.

c) Health of Corals * I wouldn't take one if they were given to me.

d) Selection and Prices * Very poor. As far as dry goods they are at least double the price as what you would pay on Amazon. If you are serious about Salt Water avoid this place.

These are my observations and I feel they truly reflect my experiences. If you are serious about Salt Water Fish and Corals go to Aquatic Art and skip the res.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
@Freddie40, I like your approach but can you simply edit your first post and add stores to it instead of doing so in subsequent posts? Also, if you make it up my direction, could you hit up Liquid Kingdom?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
@Freddie40, I like your approach but can you simply edit your first post and add stores to it instead of doing so in subsequent posts? Also, if you make it up my direction, could you hit up Liquid Kingdom?
He is not a club member so he doesn't have the option to edit his posts

Nice to see another store opened up. I'll have to check out Keeping it Reef next time I am in that area of Littleton.

Most of my shopping has been at Aquatic Art and Neptune and I think my experiences are pretty close to yours. One thing I'd add is that I am always surprised with how many employees they both have. There are usually 5-6 people working on the weekends so it isn't too difficult to flag someone down for help. I've been to many stores around the country that only have one or two people running a store during busy times.