Structural integrity in Northglenn/Thornton Homes

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone lives in the Northglenn/Thornton area one of the 1960 Ranch style homes and has a 75 gallon or larger aquarium in the main living room area. I want to get a 75 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump, and was curious if the structure of the main floor could handle it. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone lives in the Northglenn/Thornton area one of the 1960 Ranch style homes and has a 75 gallon or larger aquarium in the main living room area. I want to get a 75 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump, and was curious if the structure of the main floor could handle it. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Have you looked at the floor joists? I believe they are rated by material type, grade, and size. Your floor will hold more weight if the load spans multiple joists. So tank going perpendicular to joists is typically best.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
75 gallon tank might not be more than 4-5 full sized adults eating dinner at a table. Perp to the joists and up against a load bearing wall will hold a lot of weight.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our home is in Lafayette. Ranch style built 1978. 2x8 joists. Had 55 gal with 15 gal sump against wall parallel to joists (not ideal) with no issue.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a 220 on second floor of 1950 built apartment building. It is only a problem if it goes through the floor. She will get over it. Oh and dont forget to pee in it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check to make sure the sub floor is in good shape. Lot of the older houses around here in thornton have had carpenter ant damage. We just replaced a bunch of damaged area's.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
75g will sit fine on any floor. No issue. you really only need to consider adding structural supports for tanks over 200g imo