PVC

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm trying to replace PVC on a plumbed tank, and cannot take it apart to check.

If the outer diameter of my PVC is 40.37 mm, that equates to 1.5748 inches.

Would that mean the PVC is 1 1/4"? or 1 1/2"?

Or no way to tell?

It's Blue PVC, dunno if it's SCH 40 or 80.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Either 1-1/4" or 1" I'd guess. I have not ever seen the blue in the smaller dimeter like that. From what I have seen blue pvc in pressure rated pipe is 4" or larger. Who is the manufacturer of the pipe? Is is pressure rated pipe or possibly a pvc conduit (likely not presure rated).

Here is a reference to piping OD's and ID's for Sch 40 and 80 pvc. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-dimensions-d_795.html

Pics Brah!!

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Maybe PEX pipe which is an HDPE rather than PVC. Nibco is a manufacturer of PEX and they make a 1-1/4" blue pipe.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I present the blue PVC -

[attachment=63781:name]

I was hoping to get rid of the flex line, and extend...

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
H2O_intolerant;227418 said:
We use cpvc at work, 1.5" is the closest to your measurement

Edit: found the manufacturer, jm eagle. It's def 1.5"

Are u sure??? With an OD of just over 1.5" the nominal PVC size is typically larger than that see the second post reference.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Bingo I agree!!! Typically CPVC and PVC have the same dimensions in the smaller piping.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Munch are these on the pump return line of the drain or both? Did you install these or can you replace with a different bulkhead so you can use standard PVC to replumb??

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's the drain - larger on the left, and return - smaller on the right.

I can replace the bulkheads, but that'll be my next issue. What size to order.

I think in the next week or two, I'll pull these, and measure, figure out what size holes are in the glass, and replace it all. I can re-install them, and then have the measurements to order what I need.

I was hoping to order this week with the BRS stuff, but I can wait til the next one :)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: PVC

Are those the lines from Eric? He prob knows what size they are if so. After all he is a tank design consultant :D
Let me know if you need his number again.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope, these are from Cadlights in California. Notorious for bad customer service, I've already emailed them asking what they use, and of course gotten no reply.

Nice tanks, crappy service.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
If you look at the BRS bulkheads information they will show what size hole works with what bulkhead (dimension C). http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-slip-x-slip-2.html

I think you could use some of the compression type fittings and use the piping you have now, but if I was going to do it I'd order the right bulkheads and plumb using sch 40 PVC so that new parts and any future changes are easy. IMO the compression fittings wouldn't be an issue on the drain but on the return line I'd be nervous of a leak.

Let me know if I can help ya out. I am close to Parker!!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool thanks! I was about to ask what size bulkheads go with what openings, but then I found that info on BRS :)

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Typically the nominal dimension of the the bulkhead is the same as the PVC size that matches it. IE 1" bulkhead = 1" PVC.