Quarantine tank size

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello

Getting close to getting the tank set up and want to start quarantining some fish to be ready to put on it the tank when cycled.

What size tank will work. I will have tangs in here ideally getting them when they're super small. But I know this isn't always possible.

So what size tanks will work? What filtration do you guys use too.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally like the 29g ones from petco. Wait for the $1/gal sale. All of my tangs have faired well in them. They are the same foot print of a 20 long but taller. If I had room I would get three as it will make things a bit more convenient if you intend to use TTM. For smaller fish I only really fill them a little over half way for multiple fish or larger fish I fill them up more and I think the dimensions work fairly well for that.

On a side note I try to buy my tangs on the smaller side so that has probably been helpful in my situation. I just use a home made sponge filter and some fairly cheap non adjustable heaters from petco. Make some tight fitting screen tops

You are welcome to come over and take another gander at how I set mine up. I'm no QT guru or anything but I have yet to lose a fish in my current setup. Also if you like you can buy some clean sponges and drop them in my sump for a few weeks to get some bacteria going if you want. Just let me know.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On another note. IMO if you really want to QT right you should also have another invert qt. this would be something like a small bio cube that always runs and never has fish. All clean up crew and inverts should go in that tank for at least 72 days. I might go 3 month to be sure. Disease and parasites can come in on crabs,clams, snails, etc just as easily as fish. The 72 day fallow period should be long enough allow any nasties to die off through going through the entire life cycle without a host.

I need to do this myself just don't have room yet.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree that a 29 is a great size for a QT. If you are isolating smaller fish, or a lone fish, remember that you don't have to fill the tank to the top! Sponge filter, some PVC for hiding and a heater... you are set to go.

Mark the side of the tank in 5 Gallon increments, that way you can have 10, 15, 20 or 25 gallons of water and adjust your medication dosage appropriately, based on the amount of water you need for the critters.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rmougey;n638220 said:
I agree that a 29 is a great size for a QT. If you are isolating smaller fish, or a lone fish, remember that you don't have to fill the tank to the top! Sponge filter, some PVC for hiding and a heater... you are set to go.

Mark the side of the tank in 5 Gallon increments, that way you can have 10, 15, 20 or 25 gallons of water and adjust your medication dosage appropriately, based on the amount of water you need for the critters.

Rob Id be really interested in hearing your take on QT for inverts. What do you do in that regard?

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
For corals, I use a 10g bare bottom tank, Duetto Submersible filter, heater and a frag shelf. It's lit by a Kessil that I can dial up or down. I don't treat the QT, but rather dip the corals before they go in to the QT. I like Revive, Flatworm Exit and Interceptor, though I've used other products as dips with good success. After dipping and rinsing the corals, they go into the QT for a few days. I dip a second time and once in a while a third, looking for nudis and eggs or other nasty critters, depending on the type of coral. A liberal application of a small brush for removing unwanted hitchhikers is used. I somehow manage to miss the inevitable aptasia... just ask Daniel (AquaticArt) about my recent Peppermint Shrimp acquisitions!

If I'm adding inverts to the fish displays, then I usually QT them for a couple of weeks... while the shrimp or snails themselves aren't susceptible to nasties, the water that they are in can carry free swimming parasites. Flatworms can often be found on snails and crabs.

I maintain water quality in the frag tank by changing water from the display and into the frag tank. It serves two purposes... increases the frequency of water changes on the display and acclimates the corals to my system.

Do I QT everything with equal diligence? I must admit, no. It depends on where the animal came from and into which tank it is heading. If it's going with the seahorses, I'm a little more lenient. If it's going into my 175 fish display, it may spend 6 months in QT.