1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Quest Fish Room

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Feb 25, 2020.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

So a little cleaning has prompted a big change for me at school. Previously the storeroom across the hall from my classroom had become the fish dumping ground. Adding a 160 gallon storage tank was what started the clean out. So far we have gotten a 40 gallon QT clean and ready. 60436957322__E429F08B-A139-4417-8AA8-B5457EE8B072.JPG
    And we’ve also cleaned a 120 fresh setup and set it up as a 120 FOWLR. 60436963499__DA950432-5354-46F9-8E21-D79495B204EB.JPG 60436943780__FE7007EC-A533-476E-B414-7295ED387EC0.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

As the cleanup continues we are planning to add a frag setup of some sort, some phytoplankton tanks, and starting some pod cultures. Really have most of what we need but I will be keeping an eye out for some things.

3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

So guess I’m driven my kids 2 hrs one way for school now thanks @MuralReef

4. MuralReef

I should also mention the we I am referring to is Jodi fellow teacher and afishionado. Misspelled, I don’t think so.

JodiI likes this.
  5. MuralReef

Jodi actually did the scape in the 120. I just cleaned rock and mixed water.

JodiI and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Aka “work wife”

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

JodiI likes this.
  7. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

And @MuralReef coaches soccer Charlie, you could really streamline your operation!

8. MuralReef

IMG_2165.JPG . Already clear!

SynDen and JodiI like this.
  9. MuralReef

IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2176.JPG
    Helping with the cycle.

JodiI likes this.
  10. larryl

larryl Copepod

Looking good! Where did you get the mollies? I want to try some on my tank.

11. MuralReef

Petsmart had them. Don’t think they’re sail fins though.

JodiI likes this.
  12. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you just drop them in.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

13. MuralReef

Jodi picked them up yesterday. I think she did just drop them in. 2 made it 3 didn’t but she said one didn’t look great to begin with. The Petco by me has sail fins regularly so I’ll keep an out there. They had three but they looked bad so I decided to pass.

JodiI likes this.
  14. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod

I “acclimated” them. :) Not drip though - just changed out 50% of the water in the bag three times.

They were labeled sailfin, but they’re pretty clearly lyretails. Google said most breeds of mollies could go full marine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef likes this.
  15. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod

MuralReef likes this.
  16. MuralReef

There are at least 4 baby mollies in the tank already. She must have dropped them sometime over the weekend.

17. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

What did you use to bond the rockwork together? looks much more fluid than the epoxy dough (which I absolutely #@%$@#$%@# hate)

18. MuralReef

I’ll take a pic tomorrow. Not sure the brand but it’s basically the plastic beads you melt in hot water and mold to shape. It’s messy but worked pretty well. And hardens as quickly as it cools.

scmountain likes this.
  19. halmus

halmus Sardine Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

I used an epoxy product called Epo Puddy. When you mix the two parts “dry” it’s really stiff and a pain in the butt. However, I found that if I had a water pan (usually tank water) I could dip it and mix. Repeated as needed. That made it a lot more pliable. Not sure if that works for all two-part epoxies?