Radion G6 Launched Today.... Thoughts?

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
so soon after launching the G5 EcoTech now has the G6...
from what I have read, the biggest changes are:
Spread is now 126 degrees vs the G5 110
And adding more "close to UV" bulbs for a more actinic look.

This has my attention for 1 giant reason. With the claim that a "single XR30 fixture can cover 4 feet..."
If this is true means less fixtures needed for my tank, aka much cheaper to replace my current G3, G3, G2 with just two G6s!!!

I always told myself I would go back to Kessil when I upgraded my lights, but this could save some serious $$$ and I cannot bad mouth Radion when the G2 light is still getting the job done!

Thoughts?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not enough information yet to know. I would geuss that is probably 3ft spread realistically with higher demand corals and a 24" deep tank but 4ft for shallower tanks with less demanding corals like LPS.

I really like the G4 that came with my cube, but really PO'd that they gave up Apex support with gen 5. If you upgrade let me know and I can take your G3s from you so I can have spares for my tank that work with my apex.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just saw the BRS video and that does seem like a pretty worthwhile upgrade. That is really consistent par.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are plenty who don't think that the G5 is an upgrade over the G4. The light might be new, but it might not be an upgrade.

Depending on what you keep, the spread will differ, but one unit to cover 4 feet is probably joke in most cases. 24x24 is still probably more realistic especially as stuff grows and starts to shadow...and some people even then need more units or some T5s.

I would wait until some people use them and you get some real-life reviews since EcoTech is plenty prone to best-case type of estimates that border on exaggeration.

I suppose that I don't have to tell you all that BRS is not unbiased nor a good source for reviews on products that are under the same company umbrella? Please get your info from somewhere else just to be sure.

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
There are plenty who don't think that the G5 is an upgrade over the G4. The light might be new, but it might not be an upgrade.

Depending on what you keep, the spread will differ, but one unit to cover 4 feet is probably joke in most cases. 24x24 is still probably more realistic especially as stuff grows and starts to shadow...and some people even then need more units or some T5s.

I would wait until some people use them and you get some real-life reviews since EcoTech is plenty prone to best-case type of estimates that border on exaggeration.

I suppose that I don't have to tell you all that BRS is not unbiased nor a good source for reviews on products that are under the same company umbrella? Please get your info from somewhere else just to be sure.
Yeah I pull from all the sources I can, BRS would never bad mouth a product they sell haha.

I know the 4' is a stretch, but if the increased angle makes 3' of equal coverage, would be nice to not buy a third fixture.
They market it as more light to reflect off the side of the tank and light the shadows... but to me it seems like just increased light bleed?

(I will make a new thread for my lighting woes)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a handful of Gen 5s to try. It still was going to take 3 of them to replace each of my MH with the same coverage and output (a lot of output and coverage)... so the new lenses/spread was not going to help. About all that I would glean from the G6 just yet is that people were not totally happy with the G5s or else the G6 would not have come so soon. Most of the real-life G6 stuff out there now is the ridiculous price to upgrade... so not helpful.

I just have a single G4 and a bunch of Halides, so take this for what it is worth, but I would probably still opine that the G4 is a better light. Cheaper too. Time will tell on the G6, but that is definitely not fun for the 'treat yo self" side of things.

ShawnM

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
One other light to consider is the Neptune SKY. From what I have read they can cover 36” x 30”
The main reason I even suggest this is that Aquatic Arts is closing out Neptune at 20% off, so you could buy each light for $695

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
One other light to consider is the Neptune SKY. From what I have read they can cover 36” x 30”
The main reason I even suggest this is that Aquatic Arts is closing out Neptune at 20% off, so you could buy each light for $695
Great looking out bud! I now have 3 new lights! Would never have looked at the Sky lights until your suggestion but saving $540 REALLY helps haha.
I will get a picture up as I was hoping 2 could cover my tank... and it was an instant "no" from management.

ShawnM

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ended up taking my own advice on the Neptune SKY lights. I purchased the last 3 units that remained at Aquatic Arts this afternoon.
My current build is a Planet Aquarium 72”x30”x30” and I love the idea of these 3 lights handling everything from Softies to SPS.
The new tank arrived today as well, but the stand is a couple weeks out. I’ll share some pics once everything is in place.

I picked up a g5 today..the app is so bad i dont know why anyone would hurt a tank like that..if Programing is working then yep par chart is inspired.maybe i have bad luck or just my 1000 tablet sucks.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I picked up a g5 today..the app is so bad i dont know why anyone would hurt a tank like that..if Programing is working then yep par chart is inspired.maybe i have bad luck or just my 1000 tablet sucks.
If you sell it let me know… may be interested.

Its only has 6 months of use ..its such a nice light and id only sell it for what i paid,,however i got such a good deal i hate to not wait and see if they fix it.And now that You can pop in the G6 blue arrary and you set.