Raising clownfish

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I got home tonight and noticed one of my pairs of gold stripe maroon clowns had spawned, apparently several days ago as I could see the fry's beady little eyes reflecting from their holding spot in the cave they were in. So I am going to attempt to raise these.
Knowing that they would be hatching tonight, I knew I didn't have much time. And not having a tank setup for them I have created a temporary holding setup for them to be in overnight. I cut the bottom 8 inches off an old salt bucket with tabs left around the top of the bucket to hold the container at the water surface. I decided to use acrylic rods to suspend the container in the tank.
View attachment 11248
An airstone was placed into the container to circulate / areate the water.
A 40gB is being filled with water for their new home. The couple months I have already been waiting to set up the 40 as a frag tank will now be postponed further.

Rock and eggs were placed into the container at about 7:00 PM. Lights were turned off with just ambient room light entering the tank. By 8:30 PM the fry started hatching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY0tAiaDltU
I am gonna give these little guys all I can in hopes of getting a good % raised.
I will keep you posted. I better go check on the other clown tanks...

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great to hear! Hope they hatch and come through for you!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very cool mike. Your a grandpa all over again haha. Keep us updated how they are doing.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
That's awesome, good luck!

You got a Phytoplankton/Rotifer setup for feeding them?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Raising clownfish

Ghosty;220064 said:
That's awesome, good luck!

You got a Phytoplankton/Rotifer setup for feeding them?
No trying to get some now. All still swimming ok right now. Gotta get rotifers fast though.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Cool. And in a pinch Elite has some bottled live rotifers, but they're expensive. A hold-me-over to feed your babies until you get some through other channels.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Ghosty;220084 said:
Cool. And in a pinch Elite has some bottled live rotifers, but they're expensive. A hold-me-over to feed your babies until you get some through other channels.
Awesome. Thank you.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

They are destined to die. Just got to elite reef. Closed on Mondays. Might as well close this thread.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
No way man, don't give up! I've got a bottle of Phytoplankton. Not rotifers but that might work for today, at least something to try. But I won't be home until tonight. I also have a frozen flat of the Rotifer cubes, again not live, but might help. Where are you located?

If you're desperate I can try to get my roommate to grab them and answer the door if you want to go to Thornton. But that's only if you know they don't REQUIRE only live. Ask that zooid guy here on MASC, he's the resident Clown breeder/expert. Big thread.

Also call AlgaeBarn Sean: 720-310-0130. See if he has any pods or whatever that are live. He's in Boulder.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Try and see if you can get some of the smaller, smaller pods out of your fuge and in there, they might eat those as well. Just a thought.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

No, Keys was out/crashed. The guy was really out of it. Had to ask me a few times what we were talking about, then would drift off staring into space. Was really bizarre.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;220217 said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

No, Keys was out/crashed. The guy was really out of it. Had to ask me a few times what we were talking about, then would drift off staring into space. Was really bizarre.
Lmao he's a huge stoner. Younger guy looks like a homeless guy?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

09bumblebee;220234 said:
Lmao he's a huge stoner. Younger guy looks like a homeless guy?
Yep. That would be him. Lol.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You still may be ok if Elite has live rotifers.
As long as you keep the larvae in the dark they won't hunt for food so their egg sac won't be depleted very quickly.
I believe larvae should last around three days without food but if they don't become expert hunters in a short
period, they will starve. Don't give up yet. If Elite carries rotifers you still might coax some to live.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I just have absolutely no time tomorrow. Corporate meetings most all day. And with it being a 60 mile round trip it definitely takes me a little bit to get there. I will try.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh well, at least your fish are laying eggs :D
They should lay again in a week or so. You'll have plenty of chances to get a batch.