Red macro ID

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So my old post seems to have disappeared. I posted a week ago about this mystery algae. Here it is a week ago

And here it is today:

Definitely branching, and the grow rate is a bit alarming.

Red bubble algae? Something else? Good or bad? Wait and see?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would guess red bubble algae, I get it every once in a while.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a thread in the algae section on different algae ids, I'll see if I can find it again.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Yea, I looked through that but didn't think it was any of those.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red Valonia?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;n635008 said:
Red Valonia?

More like Botryocladia. Valonia is usually green and grows very small almost perfect circular bladers.

Although there is a small bit of Green bubble algae, or Valonia, in the picture as well.

Is it on a rock you can remove? if you can remove it and clean it. If not, invest in some mithrax crabs.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
that0neguy1126;635015 said:
More like Botryocladia. Valonia is usually green and grows very small almost perfect circular bladers.

Although there is a small bit of Green bubble algae, or Valonia, in the picture as well.

Is it on a rock you can remove? if you can remove it and clean it. If not, invest in some mithrax crabs.
Botroycladia is what my original Google research said, but there's only one or two pictures that actually match mine, and neither give much info. One of the guys on RC that has a marine lagoon (a beauty!) has something like mine, but never mentions if it's one of the ones he encourages or a pest.

I know about the green mat and the green bubble.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
reef dummy;635019 said:
Do you have an emerald crab?
Nope. Thought they were mean to fish? Actually, I don't know much about crabs honestly. I'll google.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
JodiI;n635025 said:
Nope. Thought they were mean to fish? Actually, I don't know much about crabs honestly. I'll google.

No those crabs are fine. They suposedly eat bubble algae. People say to get them as juvenile's or as small as possible for the best chance they will eat it.

From what i read on Botroycladia is that the one that grows on stem's is kept, but if its spreading on the rock its considered a pest.Either way i'd get rid of it.

JodiI;635025 said:
Emerald crabs are awesome lil dudes. I've never had a nuisance one and they will munch that hair algae as well. Some people have had them nip at soft corals but I've never had a problem.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So I think it's fair to go ahead and identify this stuff. Here's a photo from today. Light adjusted, it's a darker red in person.

And here's the photo I'm saying is identical.

Picture is from this website: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/RedAlgID8.htm ID is a nemastoma sp. which is the same species I posted a picture of further up in the thread.

Thoughts?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Also have some kind of other red macro growing nearby. Maybe a dragon's something-or-other?

Side note - I did buy an emerald crab to tackle the green bubble (and red bubble, which I have elsewhere in the tank). He is plowing through the turf algae, but hasn't left under the barnacle yet since the big bully clowns attack him when they see him (the barnacle is where they lay). But he's got plenty to eat on there anyway. Neat little creature. Thanks for the recommendation!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Just wanted to post an updated photo because I hate coming across old threads where no consensus is reached when I'm trying to research. If you have what's in my photos - DONT PULL IT. Here it is grown out:

It's a nemastoma that LA Reefs calls the "red air dancer". I've sold $75 worth of it on eBay in 3 auctions. Sweet little find!