WHAT THA!?!?!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well I cleaned out my sump yesterday. This is actually the second time in several months. The HVAC and plumbing guys that worked on my kitchen were total slobs.

I covered the sump with a tarp but they managed to make a mess. Just after the kitchen renovation I found a PILE or rust from a galvanized chimney that was moved and removed that.

Yesterday I found this chunk of iron pipe from the plumber...

Anyhow. The galvanized stuff nearly crashed the tank but this has been in the sump since last September. Glad I was doing a major clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sounds like any algae problem you could have had will go away

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Algae is gone... gfo took care of that in a couple days... plus new DI resin in the RODI. Not really sure it caused anything bad but definitely wasn’t good. Lol

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No Tesla batts. I’m not convinced those would be cost effective with the few outages I experience. Better for me to invest in a quality generator.

Don’t want to derail the conversation from Mike.

Maybe we need to start a new thread: “Horrifying contractor experiences!” Just nominate your anonymous person/business for outstanding feats of idiocracy. We can all laugh at each other’s pain.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
No Tesla batts. I’m not convinced those would be cost effective with the few outages I experience. Better for me to invest in a quality generator.

Don’t want to derail the conversation from Mike.

Maybe we need to start a new thread: “Horrifying contractor experiences!” Just nominate your anonymous person/business for outstanding feats of idiocracy. We can all laugh at each other’s pain.
I am a contractor so I’ve got my own stories about “horrifying customer experiences!”

@Dr.DiSilicate, are you planning on doing any icp testing to see if there’s anything else in there?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am a contractor so I’ve got my own stories about “horrifying customer experiences!”

@Dr.DiSilicate, are you planning on doing any icp testing to see if there’s anything else in there?
Not planning to test the water. I figure I can do a 100% water change for less money than one of those tests... if I was having weird issues that I couldn’t explain I would definitely try an ICP rest. Since I found a potential issue before it became one... I don’t see a need to at this time.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not planning to test the water. I figure I can do a 100% water change for less money than one of those tests... if I was having weird issues that I couldn’t explain I would definitely try an ICP rest. Since I found a potential issue before it became one... I don’t see a need to at this time.

That sucker was good at hiding haha. Glad you found it!.... your tank looks amazing and it’s had rusted metal in it for awhile! I need those colors... mind if I borrow that piece of metal? :tearsofjoy:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That sucker was good at hiding haha. Glad you found it!.... your tank looks amazing and it’s had rusted metal in it for awhile! I need those colors... mind if I borrow that piece of metal? :tearsofjoy:
Haha, you can have it! I think the colors have more to do with consistency in alkalinity...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Free GFO right? I am amazed at the blame that rust gets in a tank. I had this in my tank once with no issues at all.

No issues here as well. Just kinda freaked me out when I found it...

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Free GFO right? I am amazed at the blame that rust gets in a tank. I had this in my tank once with no issues at all.

What? It could be leaching iron, magnesium, or who knows what else into the tank .... wait a minute, those are already in my tank. :)