Rock Snot

Transferred some coral and macro algaes to my tank this weekend, shortly after my ATO failed and dumped 3 gallons kalkwasser water into my display. Did 30% water change, waited 12 hours, did 30% water change. PH stable at 8.4 since first water change. Fish and coral not reacting negatively and all open and happy. I cleaned my ATO sensor and protein skimmer with vinegar water and all seemed well.

Now the issue: woke up to rock snot all over my tank, been siphoning out with turkey baster, filter floss clogging with it, bio reactor clogging at top.

1) Protein skimmer is still breaking back in so not skimming efficiently
2) water is slightly cloudy (bacteria bloom or lingering Kalk in water?)
3) Rock snot all over rocks, literally siphoning off as much as i can and changing filter floss and it is back 4 hours later
4) Possible Dino bloom or some of the live rock leeching phosphates?

Any help or recommendations please. Below is a picture of sample snot in a tupperware on top of a white piece of paper for ID purposes.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I've had the same thing happen to me where my ato remained on and over dosed my tank with kalk. Any help would be great.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No advice for short term. Water changes and time. In the long term if you have an apex and a ph probe you can program it to turn off that outlet in the case of ph rising too high.

Sctip;n640611 said:
I've had the same thing happen to me where my ato remained on and over dosed my tank with kalk. Any help would be great.
I put ATO on a timer to stop it from overflowing while Im sleeping at least. Waking up to water on the floor sucks.

I am siphoning the snot algae with a turkey baster and rubbing it off the rocks with a small sponge, and the protein skimmer is breaking in now and starting to help a lot.

Will keep updated on what happens. No coral or fish death so thats good.

Rock snot is continuing to grow and spread through out the tank, grows in a matter of hours. Still no idea on what it could be

aquarius;n640677 said:
I hope it's not for your sake but Google dinoflagellates
almost certain is not dino, doesn't trap air bubbles and comes off the rock very easily. my best guess is some kind of diatom issue. Aggressive carbon and water changes and it looks under control at least now.

Sctip;n640850 said:
Do you have one I could borrow?
Unfortunately I am so impressed by it that I will continue to run it 24 hours for a few more days and then run it for 6 hours at night. I got the 9w Green Killing Machine, I read ridiculous reviews of it claiming to scrub pure green algae over run tanks that were 75 gallons (the 9w is rated for 50 gallons) in a day or two.. I was highly skeptical but was out of options and ideas, my xenia were starting to melt away and the tank was shutting down. I literally can not believe how well it works, my water has a few white particulates of dead bacteria and algae still floating into the overflows but all the snot algae is off the rocks. I am a believer to say the least. Xenia are perked up and pulsing again, everything is a complete 180 from the nightmare a few days ago.

My skimmer also finally broke in after cleaning, and in conjunction with the UV it is my opinion that the skimmer is pulling a noticeably thicker foam.

Last edited by a moderator: