DIY Algae Scrubber

Diddle822

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So wondering if anyone has done a DIY algae scrubber. Googled a few and got some good ideas but also wondering what others have done. Seen a lot made with large reactors and LED strip/tape light.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
http://marinecolorado.org/threads/l...-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae.5897/
ton of good ideas in here.
The ones with reactors are mostly Cheato reactors, designed to grow cheoto more effectively, but an ATS works a bit different in that it is designed to grow hair algae not cheato. Reactors would have a hard time with hair algae after a time I think, as cheato is easier to clean out for the most part.
Planning one for my big tank that will basically be an acrylic box about the size of a computer case. Water fed in through the top, via the return pump. Water will trickle down some screens an out the bottom, back to the sump. Likely use a red LED grow lamp on each side of the box to.

I’ve done a few variations of them. One where I had a high level baffle in my sump that I clipped the screen onto and water would flow down it and then an upflow one. The way I designed the upflow it was a pain to clean. The other was super nice but I never got a good light on it to really get good growth going.